Problem moving website to a new host

Guest Mark Weigl

Guest Mark Weigl

I had HostGator transfer my website from my previous site to HostGator.

The size of all of my files on the old host is 175.31MB (183,823,925). On the new host when I check the size of all the files it is 140.34MB (147,159,052).

Then is another test I downloaded the files to my computer from the old host and it shows (175.31MB). I thought it just has to have something to do with the file system on the new host so then I downloaded the files directly to my computer from the new host thinking it would then show up as 175.31MB but it shows up at 140.34MB. It definitely is missing some files. the old host is showing 11,000 files, the new host 8,848 files.

I'm not sure what's going on but I'm sure so me files must be missing so I haven't switched the DNS over to HostGator yet.

I am using Mac OS X and for an FTP program I'm using Transmit 3.6.6. I don't know if it's something to do with this program or even permissions stopping some files from uploading. I obviously have no problems downloading all the files from my old host to the computer but it seems something may be wrong with the upload.

I wondered if any of it could have to do with permissions. Also, when I reupload files that were downloaded from the old server would the permissions I modify (in files such as config.php for security reasons) still stay the same?

One more thing, I also have the Transfer mode since to Binary instead of ASCII or Auto in Transmit. I just want to make sure this is the right mode.

Thanks for assistance with this.

Unfortunately I took my website down Monday morning since that's the day I contacted HostGator to move it. Since it's almost been a week I'm desperate to get it back up for my customers. So far HostGator has been unable to help me with transferring the issue I'm having now and just needs to know what files are missing which I am unable to see. I just see this different in file numbers/size. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?