Site Search Facility Playing Up

bigpedro

Hi Everyone

This is a strange one that has had me scratching my head today. Working on a site

www.trax-models.co.uk - CC Version 4.2.3 - PHP 5.2.9

MySQL Version: 5.0.77-community

It has nearly 4,000 products on it. The search facility is very important to the client. Anyway. If you type in the search box

Vettel - you get one product back.

If you type

ettel - without the V you get all of them back.

Now let me explain further my findings. The site has several MOD's in place. One of which are a loads of additional fields for each product. Things such as car scale, driver, model type and manufacturer.

Now when you type ettel (without the V) you get back all of the products which have Vettel entered in the driver field on the product. There is are additional rows in the inventory database for these.

To complicate matters further, it only happens with Vettel and Senna (Again without the S) - there are many drivers with no problem.

Help it's doing my head in!!!!!!

Pedro

Guest Brivtech

I think this is definetly something to do with the MODs that you have installed.

I just tried it, and spotted that firstly, if it can't find the keyword in the description, it goes on to find it in one of the other fields.

Vettel - Finds it in the description, doesn't repeat the search to look in other fields as there is a result.

ettel - No result in the description, but matches come up because they are in one of these new fields.

You should really talk to the mod authors about this, as this is modified beyond the standard system.

I think this is definetly something to do with the MODs that you have installed.

I just tried it, and spotted that firstly, if it can't find the keyword in the description, it goes on to find it in one of the other fields.

Vettel - Finds it in the description, doesn't repeat the search to look in other fields as there is a result.

ettel - No result in the description, but matches come up because they are in one of these new fields.

You should really talk to the mod authors about this, as this is modified beyond the standard system.

Thank you for taking the time to have a look and reply. You gave me an idea.

I took the word Vettel from the one product with Vettel in the Item Name and then searched Vettel and it brought back all the products exactly as it should.

The problem is that the MOD's were not off the shelf mods, but were written specifically for this site and the guy who made them is no longer available to advise! Hmmmmm

Sorry Brivtech. One question that you may be able to answer!

When it searches the other field because it couldn't find the term in the title, why does it only respon when you remove the first letter? Any Idea?!