Basic Tax Setup

Guest Roger Huston

Guest Roger Huston

Hello,

I am having a hard time trying to setup a VERY BASIC tax structure. I need to be able to setup a tax for all CA orders, but everyone else is TAX free. I tried creating an ALL Group and then a CA group, but the all group seems to be applied to all.

It would be nice if the tax rules ran down the list, where I could say.

CA - 8.25%

All others - 0.00%.

Just like a firewall rules work.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find out how to setup US taxes.

Thanks,

Roger

BTW, I try and answer two questions for every question I ask. So please help a helper.

Guest Roger Huston

I think I found out the answer. I had to delete Tax Exempt and start over. Basically, I deleted everything except Standard Tax class.

Then I setup in Tax Details

CA State Tax.

The last part was going to the Zones and added a California 8.25 and added it to the CA State Tax I setup above. Now it seems to be working, but we will see. Time to try shipping!

BTW, it would be very cool to figure it out a way to do it by county / zip since most people in the US have tax rates by county.

Guest Roger Huston

Ok,

The issue may not be with the Tax, but with sessions. I need help with this, please. It seems like that if any of my computers enter a CA address, than all computers default to the CA tax on View Basket. No matter if we remove all cookies or haven't used the computer in days. If I go to the cart it shows CA tax.

Is this a session issue? Will customers see it? I don't want anyone who is not from CA to see that tax.

Thank you,

Roger

• 1 month later...
Guest Roger Huston

Yes, I solved my issue.

Problem 1. By default CubeCart assumes that customers are coming from your home state, as set in the admin. So if you charge tax in your home state, then everyone will see tax until they enter their personal information. I agree, logically this does not make sense, but it is what you have to deal with.

Solution 1. In the Admin: Store Config > Meta Data > County / State / Zone, clear the value set it to N/A. Then tax won't be calculated by default.

Problem 2:It has to do with the CubeCart session control. By default, sessions don't expire for 2 days. This is cool for customers as it keeps item in the basket for 2 days. However, for testing, unless you know what is going on, it could be a pain. You see, if you start doing test orders WITHOUT creating an account (Quick Checkout), CubeCart will KEEP all of your personal data for 2 days. So while the PHP Session times out in 15 minutes - CubeCart's default behavior can create a HUGE security hole for customers and make things disconcerting for testing.

Solution 2: In the Admin: Store Config > Styles & Misc > Max Session Length. Change the value to: 7200 seconds which is 2 hours. This is the shortest time that CubeCart would allow and it also prevents other session errors. This solution is the best we can do until the makers of CubeCart put a little more thought into the Session Control and clear out all personal data after 15 minutes (like PHP built-in session control) and keep the cart data.

You could also require people to register on your site too. This would close this HUGE security hole, but make things more difficult for regular customers. Your decision on which way to go.

- Roger

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Oscar M

The behaviour you mentioned has been standard since version 4.3.1.

If you can get the code from a version prior to that version the tax will not be added until after the buyer fills in their registration info and then only if they are from your state.

The path to the file that has to be changed is:

includes/content/cart.inc.php

I found this out from Cubecart support when I encountered the same issue.

Open a support ticket and ask them to provide you with the file from a version prior to 4.3.1

Oscar M

Guest TesniConstance

I am starting my own business in Pennsylvania and I need to set up a Tax ID Number. I am not sure how to do that, and would it be cheaper to do it online or should I go to a lawyer to have it done. I am not experienced and could use all the advice I can get. The business I am opening is a convenience store so I am also not sure whether to pick corporation or LLC. Any help would be great, thank you.