prestashop to cube cart

Guest panacheweb

Guest panacheweb

recently I set up a client on prestashop, it had everything you could think of... except one thing built in shipping modules, and it only allowed for manual entry, and many of the modules were hard to find or not listed, or the one I was looking for canada post, had been canned by the company that did it.

Now I'm looking at transferring the entire store over from prestashop.

From what I see there is no clear manual and no clear set of instructions with the software, and I can not have my client waste any more time with a product that just simply takes too much work to get just the shipping working.

So far there is no exporter module that is completely useful, mostly its useless. with over 40 hours of work being done in prestashop with no real value at the end of all this. Yes prestashop looks nice, however it just dont seem to have its ducks in a row.

• 3 weeks later...

Guest Maksym

You can try cart2cart. This service allows you to move all products, categories, customers and orders from Prestashop to CubeCart automatically.

I think you have a make a judgement call on the effort needed to migrate to CubeCart, and the cost of hiring someone to code a Shipping Module for you.

If Prestashop is currently meeting all your needs (security, support, functionality) then it may be better to stay with that. Moving platform for something as minor as a shipping module is not sensible.

There may be other benefits to moving to CubeCart. As it's owned by a commercial company, development is not a part-time thing and they need to continue to improve the product and release new products to stay in business.

This does mean an emthasis on Security and testing. If you check out the CC5 forum, you'll see some complaints about the template system- and the developers listened and have coded something to meet what the development community were asking for.

The Cubecart shipping modules are fairly easy to tweak - I recently made a minor change to meet a clients needs, it took 5mins.

The same applies to the payment modules - not a big deal to tweak.

Going back to your original question, if Pretashop meetings all your clients needs, its probably in their interest to stay with it.

If you're unsure, you can install CC fairly quickly on a trial, and spend a few hours checking out its features.

If you decide to move across, there are options on data import - from simple CSV, to hireing someone to do a complete migration (including images/categories etc)

I hope this helps,

Jason