Multiple order numbers in cart

Hi,

We are trying to trace a problem we have encountered with Cubecart 4 installations and would like some help in seeing if anyone else is experiencing the same problems.

At first we thought it was a server specific problem but we have the same problem on a clients website that is not on our server.

The problem is when a customer puts something into their shopping cart and goes to checkout, if they then return to the store the previous order is logged and when they go back to the checkout they are allocated a new order number whereby in admin showing a customer with more than one order, they may do it a few times and have orders for each time they return to the store, just seen 5 orders for one customer in admin!!

This is very frustrating to my clients who are getting lots of orders and having to cancel them simply because the customer wanted to return to the store.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Yes I see what you mean. I have just put an item in my basket, clicked to checkout, then clicked continue shopping and added another item to my basket. When I click to checkout again I get 2 order numbers showing in admin. The order should show pending until payment is made, even if you keep adding to it. The first order does show cancelled and the second pending but surely if a customer keeps going back and adding items, there shouldn't be lots of cancelled orders showing in admin and the customer ending up with lots of order acknowledgements in their email.

Guest Roger Huston

Yes, what you are experiencing is CubeCart's fix to an even bigger problem. What version of CubeCart are you running? One of the things that are happening is that if a person orders a product then goes to the payment screen, CubeCart registers a sale before a customer pays. This sent an Order email to the customer. Later versions of CubeCart disabled this email to the customer, but still sends it to the admin. For us this is a good thing since we can contact the customer right away to see if they need help with a payment.

However, to get the system to work it does require careful edits to order.php in the classes. There is a logic bug in there where changing modes will send out an email unintentionally, but you can work around it.

- Roger

Thanks for the info, we actually found out eventually we had a problem with a redirect mod within the checkout that we built in for the client. The url was too long for Internet Explorer and the page failed to load which caused the customer to click back and subsequently place another order.

I understand why it is built into CubeCart 4 like this with the order sending before payment and would probably have been a lot more lost orders if we hadnt been notified. ;)

Paul