Tax and shipping always show (Even before adding address)

My site has recently started displaying Florida State Tax and shipping on step 1 of the checkout process. I find it interesting that it changes back to zero when I change the tax location. Has anybody seen this? Check it out for yourself... www.superbiketoystore.com/sport.

Just add something to the cart...

Does it do it with a shipped skin? this is an important test.

Sure does. I was able to change my country under general settings and the problem disappears; weird!

Sidebar: I just upgraded to 4.41.

• 8 months later...
Guest bluesphee

I am having this exact same problem with a store now. Here is the link.. It should only show tax after the person provides their shipping address and they live in the US in the state of Wisconsin. The tax will actually be removed if they choose a state other than Wisconsin, but it's very odd that it automatically displays the tax before you even enter in a state. It wasn't working like this before, so I'm stumped why it just started happening now.

Guest bluesphee

I did find this post in the forumswhich is the exact same problem, but unfortunately it's for CubeCart 3. It looks like the flexible taxes module from Estelle was added in to CubeCart 4 making the code quite a bit more complicated. However, since I'm not using that code I probably can just ignore all of it. I might take a stab at trying to do the similar logic from this post and converting it for CubeCart 4. I find it very strange that no one else has this problem though since it defeats the entire purpose of having this built into the admin side of the store!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluesphee

I did find this post in the forumswhich is the exact same problem, but unfortunately it's for CubeCart 3. It looks like the flexible taxes module from Estelle was added in to CubeCart 4 making the code quite a bit more complicated. However, since I'm not using that code I probably can just ignore all of it. I might take a stab at trying to do the similar logic from this post and converting it for CubeCart 4. I find it very strange that no one else has this problem though since it defeats the entire purpose of having this built into the admin side of the store!!

After digging through the code and trying to figure this out I almost gave up until I went back to Google searching for an answer. Sure enough, I found an answer on this forum. Here is a link:

I cannot believe it was as simple as going to the store settings -> Meta Data -> Set the Country / State / Zone to "N/A" instead of the state the store resides in. How maddening but very thankful someone figured this out!

Guest bluesphee

In my excitement over finding a "solution" to this there is one hitch. Instead of showing tax as "N/A" or "Calculated at next step" it shows it as $0.00. This is also misleading to the customers that will eventually get taxed and could annoy them enough once they do register to ditch their order.

Guest bluesphee

In my excitement over finding a "solution" to this there is one hitch. Instead of showing tax as "N/A" or "Calculated at next step" it shows it as $0.00. This is also misleading to the customers that will eventually get taxed and could annoy them enough once they do register to ditch their order.

To address this, I changed the language file for the word "Tax" on the front end phrases section to say "Tax (Calculated for WI residents only)" since tax is only applicable in the state of Wisconsin.