Using Image URLs instead of images?

With CC5 I see that you have to upload an actual image.

However, my supplier maintains images and I can access them via a URL to that image (www.suppplier.com/images/item1.jpg)

There are thousands of images (25000 and up) - for all items. I want to load certain items they carry, yet do not want to have to upload images to my cubecart - I would rather have the items image use the image URL to display the image.

For example, for item 1, rather than upload, it would use www.suppplier.com/images/item1.jpg as the filepath of the image to display it on the product page.

Is there a plugin or mod to do this, or some way to get this to work?

I do not see any way to do this under the normal setup.

I could say I've not seen a plugin for this, but truth is, I've seen almost no plugins for anything yet. :D I'm sure a mod will come along soon to accommodate such a thing. Keep watching over at CubeCartForums.org.

:w00t:

I could say I've not seen a plugin for this, but truth is, I've seen almost no plugins for anything yet. :D I'm sure a mod will come along soon to accommodate such a thing. Keep watching over at CubeCartForums.org.

:w00t:

any idea if this was possible in CC4? if so, I can pester the mod maker to update ;-)

I would think it would be a common need.

Guest Roger Huston

Magicvault,

I understand fully why you want to do this with your images, however, you may want to consider the benefits of hosting them yourself.

1. Rename Images - most manufacturers give their images poor names, like R323a.jpg, which means nothing. You could rename your images to more meaningful names.

2. Customize your images - you can change them (provided you ask the manufacturer permission) and make them better.

3. More links to your images. - People will start linking to you instead of you to them.

So, while I understand what you want to do, the reason there aren't any mods to it is because most people don't want to take the search engine penalty for hot-linking. It makes your website less attractive to the search engines because you are linking to other people's content instead of having your own.

- Roger

Magicvault,

I understand fully why you want to do this with your images, however, you may want to consider the benefits of hosting them yourself.

1. Rename Images - most manufacturers give their images poor names, like R323a.jpg, which means nothing. You could rename your images to more meaningful names.

2. Customize your images - you can change them (provided you ask the manufacturer permission) and make them better.

3. More links to your images. - People will start linking to you instead of you to them.

So, while I understand what you want to do, the reason there aren't any mods to it is because most people don't want to take the search engine penalty for hot-linking. It makes your website less attractive to the search engines because you are linking to other people's content instead of having your own.

- Roger

My situation is that on a weekly basis I get a CSV file from a supplier that has ever changing inventory. In that CSV they have the image URL. With it changing so often, manually uploading the images and the images/products changing so often, the image URL is the least labor intensive way of showing them.