Shipping Always Showing (even before address is entered)

Guest jgislermn

Guest jgislermn

Hi All,

The shipping in the cart is always showing even before a customer enters any billing and/or shipping information. Is there any way to change this?

Thanks,

Jen :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Here is my 2 cents worth. I have been running 5 differant store carts for myself and clients for a number of years, one of which has been Cubecart V3 that we has been running without a hitch for a good long time. Because we have recieved a notice from Fedex that thier legacy platform will be discontinued early in 2012 I have decided for ease of conforming to switch all my carts to one format. As cube cart has been an easy to use ligth weight script I figured on going with Cubecart all the way. However, after purchasing V5 and swithcing over from the one V3 I was running I have notice a number issues and bugs, one of which and at the moment for me the largest issue is the SHIPPING charge matter. I notice there hasn't been an answer to Jen's post but hopefully someone, mayby Robsta will reply with a solution.

The demo versoin of Cube Cart as shown on this webiste is version 5 or so noted, the example products are handled just like they should be and as I note in V3 without shipping charges and tax/vat until the customer enters their location and personal information. Why doesn't the release copy of Cube Cart 5 operate the same as the Demo, and or the answer to this post then is how do you configure the cart ( without a script rewrite or edit ) to function in the correct manner, Its obvious it can, as the demo shows it can. To this point after I went live with 5 a few weeks ago from V3, and now forced to reload V3, I have had to explain myself to 8 customers why I am cheating them on shipping and have sent out 5 refunds on these shiping charges. There are other issues regarding charges relating to shipping but this is the most important matter first. Love this script how it looks and the feature so I am hoping we can address this and allow me to buy 4 more copies!

Thanks in advance please let us know the answer.

Abest

From what I've experienced with v5, the shipping charge showing is related to the address of used for the shop in the Admin panel. It drives me a bit batty too but only takes 2 seconds to explain to customers who ask why the difference between the charge they first see and what they get in check out. Easy to explain that the correct charges are figured once they enter their mailing address. Most figure it out on their own because it is rare I get asked. Those that do ask often have other questions to go with it.

I once had the same problem with V4 but once I removed the test account I set up to test everything the problem stopped. It didn't work with v5 though.

Jamie

From what I've experienced with v5, the shipping charge showing is related to the address of used for the shop in the Admin panel. It drives me a bit batty too but only takes 2 seconds to explain to customers who ask why the difference between the charge they first see and what they get in check out. Easy to explain that the correct charges are figured once they enter their mailing address. Most figure it out on their own because it is rare I get asked. Those that do ask often have other questions to go with it.

I once had the same problem with V4 but once I removed the test account I set up to test everything the problem stopped. It didn't work with v5 though.

Jamie

Thank you kindly for your input Jamie its refreshing to see that there is interest from members to help soive issues that affect everyone and your help is greatly appreciated. I see by your forum membership date that you have been around for some time and certanly started with V3. I wouid like to point out that with V3 there are no shipping or tax charges shown at the add to cart and purchase phase, Nothing then to even cause any question. Its when you check out it forces the buyer to enter the shipping address so that it will total with correct values. Further if you follow the link on the V5 demo page and tour V5 then add the test product it does the same thing as V3 it forces the buyer to enter shipping info purchase before it shows any totals just as V3. It does not enclude or show any windows at all with any shipping charges to even be a questioned or explained later in the process. Point then is, if V5 demo can function this way then the downloaded purchased script should also by default. That way none of us would have to explain anything. I will make one other point, I have noticed a marked reduction in completed sales and even enquiries with this particular store we are running since I upgraded to v5, I contribute this to the errors causing our potentail customers to stop before checkout and not even getting to the poiint having to explain anything to them. I would be interested in hearing more from you after you check the demo site and finding what I am pointing to..

Thanks agian

Abest you are right. There should be a way to get rid of the shipping charge showing before a customer has entered their address. I too have dropped in sales by a HUGE margin since upgrading to v5 but it isn't due to the shipping showing incorrectly. It is due to losing search engine page rankings when switching from v4, which I'd used since it was released, to v5 and then being down for 2 weeks to rebuild what didn't transfer correctly during the upgrade and battling with a long list of problems including Paypal not working, international customers not being able to order etc.

I made the switch from v4 to v5 near the middle of August and it has been a rough go with few answers here in the forums but many help tickets. I can't even work on customization until I get all the bugs worked out but the shipping price bug is near the bottom of my list.

If you find a lot of uncompleted orders, and I get these too, email and ask the customers if there is something you can help them with. It may be shipping price but it may be they decided to come back and order later etc. Most of the customer feedback I have gotten is that something came up and they weren't able to finish the transaction at the time. Even if they cancel the order before getting to the payment stage it still shows up on the Admin panel which shouldn't be happening either.

Jamie