Server

Hi there,

I am fed up with paying someone else to host my website on their server!! Is it possible to setup my own server.... I don't know much about servers so can someone please tell me what i need and how much roughly it would cost??

Cheers

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

Louise

:sourcerer::):sourcerer::sourcerer::sourcerer: :sourcerer:

Guest dudestore

Lots of them cost over 100 bucks.. as high as 400 bucks monthly. I had always wanted to get my own running from my home instead of using somebody else's host or dedicated servers as well.

As for now, I'm using my own host (reseller).

1. Well you will need a good OS for this. ( Linux is best )

2. You will need high speed service ( T1 ) at 1.5mbs Up stream

3. A PC at least a P3 With 512mbs ram and 4 gig HD

4. Alot of time to get setup

5. A DNS Server ( To Start Use NO-IP.COM )

**With a setup like that you can handle about 65 users at a time with speeds of 56k per user.

Now there is more that gos in to it. but this is just a small setup 4 - 7 domans

Need more help on the setup of your own servers please let me know I Run 5 Linux web servers plus reseller for others.

Laters

AFKsky

if you dont know much about servers its probably a good idea to leave it in someone elses hands, i run a computer business & know servers like the back of my hand, but i still use a hosting company. it's just one less thing to have to worry about.

if you dont know much about servers its probably a good idea to leave it in someone elses hands, i run a computer business & know servers like the back of my hand, but i still use a hosting company. it's just one less thing to have to worry about.

I feel the same way.. its not going to be easy. there is alot of work and playing to get get it up and running.

as far as books / websites.

well i dont know of any site or books that tell you step by step how to. due to so many thing you can do or not do.

the best thing i can tell you is.

1 use linux it works best

2 lean networking.

3 google is your buddy

I know it doesn't help you now, but my buddy and I are set to launch a hosting company in January. We plan to offer an excellent price to Cubecart users because we love it so much. Matter of fact, we are going to run Cubecart as our store to buy our hosting packages. If you have a more immediate need you can just download a small web server and install it locally on your PC with php/mysql. You can do this in Windows too. Its a bit to type out how to set it all up and configure it....but there is a cheap webhost that I use that is as reliable as it gets.

Check out www.stpwebhosting.com (its about $5 US per mo)

Its only 25mb of space, but my store only has images for the products I carry. (3mb used)

I won't reveal pricing for our service just yet, but look for Brooky to make an announcement as we offer up Cubecart users a big discount.

Stay tuned, it will be worth it.

-investr

Webhost I use

Hi All,

Thank you for the advice...... I don't think i will bother with the server anymore and when the year is up on my hosting i will find somewhere else to go.. (Somewhere Cheaper)

Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR

From

Louise

:rolleyes::lol::lol: :lol: