Absolutely nothing to do with Cubecart

Guest twisted

Guest twisted

Anyone who has had any experience building their own pc....what does a continuous series of high pitched beeps at power on mean?

I've just bought a new Asus m/board, and P4 2.4Ghz CPU w/800FSB and 512Mb DDR DRAM and a WAY COOL Alien Black Bio Case (flashing lights an everything...childish...but who cares...its MY birthday! HA!) and I can't get it to boot up. All I get is the beeps about 5 secs after pressing the power button.

Manual says it indicates CPU overheating....but immediately on power up? And I have a brand new heatsink/fan too!

Fans are working, hard drive is working, CDRW is working ... keyboard and mouse won't work, monitor doesn't come on.

Any tips?

I've had that problem before, and with me its always been a problem with the ram. See if you can test it in another machine, and make sure the ram's speed is compatible with the motherboard (i.e. some m/b's can only take DDR333) btw i've seen those cases & they're kewl! :rolleyes:

just read the rest of you post, you have a p4... if it was overheating pentiums just shut down to like 100 mhz and should still boot up... now... AMD's will go up in smoke... and thats not fun... but i have never seen a p4... p3... p2.. or pentium smoke.. :rolleyes:

unless you tried overclocking it :lol:... thats always fun.

Tony~!

Guest twisted

I haven't ried anythign with it...can't get that far. It all just arrived today, and I was putting it all together this afternoon.

RAM....Like I said, I got DDR 400 SDRAM - PC3200

Now, with this motherboard, it says that to use PC3200 RAM, you MUST have a CPU with a 800FSB...this CPU supports 800/533/400Mhz FSB's. So that shouldn;t be a problem. I tried some PC2700 DDR Ram from my wifes comp (also new) and it didn't help.

See if you can test it in another machine

Its PC3200....none of our other machines will accept it. Plus its 184 pins...our other machines are all 167 pin slots.

pentiums just shut down to like 100 mhz and should still boot up

Thats what the manual says for the beeps..."operating at a lower frequency"

But it still doesn't boot up.....and why would it overheat alsmost immediately on power on?

but i have seen it be pci too
Meaning?...one of my pci cards might be incompatible?

(I've got a SoundBlaster AWE64 sound card, pci modem and Nvidia GForce2 64Mb graphics card, but that is in the AGP slot)

depending on your bios there are beep code charts out there that you can look it up on.

I'm not sure what breed the bios is...can't get into it to find out any details...but where would I find said beep code charts? Not at Asus...I tried there.

why would it overheat alsmost immediately on power on?

you would be shocked at how fast they get hot... i didnt put a fan on one of the new AMDs (just to see what happens) and it smoked the thing right off the bat.

my guess would be that there is a jumper that is not set right, or a fan that is not plugged in?....

by the pci thing i meant... dirt inthe slot... dush... the card is bent.. something like that.. but like you said.. it is a new computer.. with new parts... you not playing with old crap.

ummm.. try to take out the p4.. it might be something with the socket.. lift the arm up and down a few times.. i have had a arm that didnt hold the cpu in all the way so it would make the cpu slow and jumpy... lol.. yes i have played with some old .. ghetto a$$ parts.. lol..

Tony~!

Guest OskMedia

hmmm......i had the same problem with my computer, and it was becasue of the video card hmmm go figure oh i had to like set the memory thing on it and run a ribbon to the motherboard i forgot to do that so that was my problem for the high tone beeps, hmmm that sucs though

Guest twisted

I was so careful to make sure I got all the right (compatible) parts.

I said:

Now, with this motherboard, it says that to use PC3200 RAM, you MUST have a CPU with a 800FSB...this CPU supports 800/533/400Mhz FSB's. So that shouldn;t be a problem.

DOH!........the motherboard supports 800/533/400FSB...the CPU has a 533Mhz FSB, and PC3200 won't work with that.

So anyway...i bought some PC2700....didn't help.

Tried it without ANY cards in the PCI slots.....still did it, so its not the PCI's

try to take out the p4.. it might be something with the socket.. lift the arm up and down a few times.. i have had a arm that didnt hold the cpu in all the way so it would make the cpu slow and jumpy

Didn't help

there is a jumper that is not set right, or a fan that is not plugged in?....
Which one, and what's "right"?

And the fans are plugged in. :rolleyes:

I am annoyed, disappointed, frustrated, and running out of ideas. I sincerely hope I did not get a DOA CPU.....

Guest twisted

Nvidia GeForce2-MX440 with 32Mb RAM. In agp slot. Don't know if its vga or sxga...but its a Dell 1702FP 17" flat panel if that helps.

(I will never go back to a CRT monitor again...I'll tell ya that much! I LOVE my flat panel!!!!!!!) :)

Guest OskMedia

i used to be active on that forum also nice 1 twisted u should ost there you will get some help.... i would suggest making a nice page of waht the problem is that way u will get some good support, ----------Josh