sessions or cookies

Guest OskMedia

Guest OskMedia

i am making a super small shopping cart for my site, cube cart is 2 big this consist of 2 products no user sign up, no admin section - just the most basic cart you can think of, but i don;t know if i should use cookies or sessions or both no login to the main use for cookies is gone, sessions sounds more pratical, but let me know, ------------Josh

err... didn't you say, a couple of weeks ago, that the best way to do this was with cookies? And that was after you had already done your cart with sessions? You planning on switching back to sessions now?

Guest OskMedia

its a matter of a find and replace feature boooker, i do it all the time its callled changing one variable $_cookie to $_SESSION LMAO, seriously thats all you have to do you can even leave the session starts there doens't hurt anyone , that would take about 12 seocnds to do, Josh

Guest OskMedia

sessions welll to me unstable, and very confsin at times, cookies prolly the best 4 most things, have it so it randomly generates a ID saves it in cookie, like cube cart i guess, but i will just use the persons IP to do it that way no cookie, no sessions , people say doing that is bad casue pp's ip is chiging VERY true but itds a shopping cart not osmehting where they need to be logged in or stay for dasy and come back and still save info, its just a breif 10-25 minute period whee they buy somehting----------------Josh

Guest twisted

Doesn't matter what its a matter of or how easy it is....you did swear up and down that cookies was the only way to go.

But anyway, it probably doesn't matter in terms of functionality....just do whatever suits you best.

Guest OskMedia

i get convinced another way every week osme guy always talk me into osmehting else, but yes cookies is better WAAAAY more stable, i don't trust sessions LOOK way to hackable

:w00t:

So why are you asking us, if you are already set on cookies? I don't think I understand what you are looking for, for input. Do you want us to agree with you that cookies are the way to go?

I like cookies. Don't use the ip though. It can, does and will cause a problem. I've had many folks coming across my site change ips 2 or 3 times in a 10 minute visit.

Umm, yeah I log that.

DHCP....

Some ISP have the renew set high.. your best bet it to stay away from IP logins un less they are static.

OH and most of the time the peoples whos IP change 2 time or more in 10 min are cable modem users.

If you need to know why that is well simple Cable modems share bandwith with other users by you. this making cable ISP renew the IP to make sure you are using the system and not sitting idel. NOT ALL ISP DO THIS!

AFKsky