Visitor and requisters should read/search better

Guest Allansamson

Guest Allansamson

Almost every day I go through the topics and I always find new onces.

Most of the time, the new topics contains problems and requist that have been posted for so many times.

After a while this will result in a forum with 1000's topics.........with dozens of the same questions.

Examples: shippingcosts per weight, visitors online, changing colors, etc,etc...

People, use the search-options........or search manually...instead of starting a "new" topic with a question/requist that is posted several times before.

I am not an admin or moderator....but this (and i am speaking for myself)..is a real pain in the ass! :wacko:

Allan ;)

It all boils down the fact that the search feature on the forum sucks.

Well... that, and people are often too lazy to try. They just want to be spoon-fed information rather than going and looking for it ;)

Guest Allansamson

Do newcommers..........and perhaps old-commers read the rules of this forum?

The very first rule says:

Please search the forums before posting as it is likely that your question has been answered somewhere else.

I have seen a lot of other forums where ppl where kicked out of topics where removed, just because of not respecting the rules.

Maybe the admins should be a little more strickt here.....

This problem occurs everywhere though, i mean even in one of the business forums i frequent over the last 2 months or so there have been about a dozen threads about how to start a computer LAN shop, and about the same asking about how to start a web business.

I think it is just a fact of having a forum that many people are just to lazy to bother searching and just post a random request often to not actually return.

Of course that said i am off to search for what i want rather then lump the half dozen requests into a single post and hope for a answer to all of them

Guest twisted

I have seen a lot of other forums where ppl where kicked out of topics where removed, just because of not respecting the rules.

So someone posts a question that has already been asked and asnwered...we say "Hey, you didn't search! Buh-bye!" and ban them?

Often, a seacrh will not turn up a sloution to ones problem, due to the limitations of this forums search mechanism.

While such action may say to people, hey stick to the forum rules or you're toast! that sort of action is more suited to personal forums, fan forums, game forums etc. I do not believe such behaviour is appropriate for a business software forum.

The people who come here are business people [obviously..this is an e-commerce script] and are looking for help.

To boot them for asking a question that has already been dealt with, is not conducive to inciting goodwill amongst potential members.

I think the best we can do, is to keep reminding people to search before asking a question.

I may remove the occassional post that is a duplicated question....but only if it has received no replies, and has been posted by the same member, but I would never consider removing a post simply because it has already been dealt with before.

JMTCW...

Actually that is a good point twisted.

The biggest problem i find sometimes when looking for help on a forum is that i try searching and come up empty. Simply because i am maybe searching for a different term for the same thing then was used by the last member to ask. I think booting people for asking the same question especially in this type of forum becomes borderline, Yes they should read the rules, but also not everyone may have the time to read through a dozen posts tuened up by a search only to find there question isnt actually answered and they have to ask anyway.