MD5 is dead?!

Guest Joker

eight hours on a 1.6ghz PC? Thats quick!

A successful duplicate was generated middle of last year, but this is the first 'accessible' algortihm and brings it into the mainstream...

My opinion(s) re: cubecart-

Don't panic, this was probably inevitable but is only of use to people who have access to your hash-encoded data.

For passwords, a semi-intelligent brute-force method is more efficient than this method anyway, and in fact this algorithm is unlikely to produce password enterable codes easily anyway.

You can combine an md5 with other existing algorithms to produce a second level of awkwardness for potential hackers.

Other than that, a big implication I can think of straight away, is gonna be for downloaded and supposedly trused hash verified files being substituted for malicious programs on file sharing networks?

i use a method that just encodes the password.. then hashes like the characters from position 10-30... making it very difficult to hack.. i dont use that method in cubecart though.. sense i dont even collect any personal info when someone buys something..

Tony~!