Sales tax question

Guest Alcom

Guest Alcom

Is there anyway to set multiple tax values for different products? People order from us all over the country and there are many different tax rates. Also some of our clients and products are tax exempt. This is a really big problem. Any help is much appreciated!

Guest DungeonCrawler

I second this. I'm in Canada so need to have National (GST) and Provincial (PST) taxes.

This is such a basic thing that I think I'm missing something when I set up the beta.

To me, it's a make or break thing. No matter how good the cart is, it'll never work without multiple tax handling fuctions.

Maybe I'm just stupid and it already does this? :D

Yes I also need a mod to have differrent Tax charges. Perhaps in the admin section there would be 2 or 3 more text fields where you can have say 5% , 17% , 21% so that when you are adding a product you will give that product the Tax Rate it applies too. In my country we have atleast 2 types of Tax Rates for products Food is 5% other 18%.

Any brilliant coders out there that come up with a mod?

Guest Alcom

He means that if this isn't part of the basic program, then this cart shouldn't be used because this is too much of a basic issue. To assume that someone is only selling to people in the area with one tax rate is not only bad form, it's just plain ignorant. The point of the internet is to sell to people on a wider plain(national and international) and if tax rates vary by county, let alone state and country, then how are we supposed to use this program.

On this issue I still haven't recieved a response. I need to know if this is possible or not because if it isn't I need to move on to another program. It is very frustrating to have clients who want to buy online but I can't service them because they have a different tax rate. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!! Someone help.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DungeonCrawler

Still no "Official" response on this? If multiple tax rates are only supported by a mod then the danger lies in losing functionality during core code updates. What if a BIG security hole is discovered? Patches tend to ignore mods as they are 3rd party and who knows if they follow all the "rules" of the original program.

Hell, if a gift registry blows up on an upgrade, who really cares? But if all the complicated tax rates vanish then so does the cart's functionality.

Guest bikeman

I have another issue with taxes.

Here in Europe we are now expected to collect VAT for sales anywhere. Likewise if any non-euro country (ie USA) sells goods to a customer in europe they are also expect to collect and pass on UK vat (bet no one does though).

When I look at CC3 admin, it appears that sales tax can be applied to one country only. I have probably misunderstood and I welcome some guidance on this. But If CC3 applies sales tax in so limited a way then I am afraid the cart is unusable.

I believe CC2 allowed us to apply a flat tax rate across the board which was fine for UK merchants.

• 1 month later...
Guest mthomassen

In the admin you can set as much different taxes as you want...

GST - 7% = Ontario

GST/HST - 15 % = Québec etcetera...etcetera...

You will have to edit for each province, c"est la vie...

• 1 year later...
Guest cid

I am having a problem with multiple tax rates as well. It seems that when your business is based in Oklahoma, that you will have to collect the tax for each county and city that you ship to. So you literally have to keep track of hundreds of cities and dozens of counties. The Oklahoma Tax Commission publishes a db every quarter, but I can't find anything in cube cart that will address this problem. Help! Anyone?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest comptime

I've got the same problem. Does anyone have a mod for setting up discretionary sales tax. I live in St Johns County Florida, where sales tax is 6% and need to find a way that if the person lives in Duval county I can charge them 7%. You don't have to develop the counties for each state, we just need to be able to add the counties to the list and we need a way to ask the customers who are in-state what county they live in.