Changing the name of admin folder!

Guest ufa57

Guest ufa57

I'd like to change the name of my 'admin' folder to something else that's very difficult to guess, such as a string of characters, so it makes it that much more difficult for hackers to get into my admin area and screw up my files.

If I do that, what other files do I need to change this name in so my store doesn't start giving problems?

Has anyone ever done this with their cubecart before?

*Sophie*

You will likely need to change most of the files that are not actually in your admin folder (i.e.- everything in your main shopping cart directory). At the top of most pages, there are a list of include files such as:

include("admin/config.php");

include("admin/settings.inc.php");

You will need to change "admin/" to whatever your new admin folder is called, for all instances of "admin/". If you do so, I would advice searching *every* file to make sure you don't miss any.

You will likely need to change most of the files that are not actually in your admin folder (i.e.- everything in your main shopping cart directory). At the top of most pages, there are a list of include files such as:

include("admin/config.php");

include("admin/settings.inc.php");

You will need to change "admin/" to whatever your new admin folder is called, for all instances of "admin/". If you do so, I would advice searching *every* file to make sure you don't miss any.

like booker says: if you are going to do this you need to go thru each and every file. Your best bet is to use a 'find and replace with' command in you favorite editor (dreamweaver= ctrl + F, notepad=ctrl + H).

NOTE: do not use the 'replace all' command tho, just click on 'next' and 'replace' and go thru the whole file like that; this also means all in admin folder too!

note 2: backup your whole store before you do this!

Guest ufa57

Ok, I'll stick with the password protection then. I didn't think it would have been such a hassle to change the file name. :D

Guest twisted

You're not changing a file name, you're changing a folder name...that means that every file that calls another file in that folder, has to have the directory[folder] name changed in the code. A lot of pages call the same file in multiple places.

It could be worse....cube only has like, 114 files, or something...you could have been using oscommerce...that has over 1100 files.

:cry:

Guest OskMedia

Easy task i did it in 23 seconds......copy store to compo....use find and replace program on the whole store....wam re upload and ur fine