Upgrading From Version 2.0?

Guest RAlfieri

Guest RAlfieri

What is the process for upgrading to 3.0 from 2.0? The zip file only addressed upgrading from alpha to beta to beta.

Thanks,

Rob

Guest topjones

There is none. Version 2 uses a completely different back end and design. You need to install v3 and the add your products your new v3 store.

:) Start from scratch???? This is not a good idea I doubt many store owners would want to re-add hundreds of products.

Are the tables the same could this be done with a dump of the products data from 2 to 3???

:) Start from scratch???? This is not a good idea I doubt many store owners would want to re-add hundreds of products.

my concern exactly, there must be a way to convert the old records into the new format...

Hold it guys!!! ;)

Change to ZEN cart?! OScommerce no way dude!!! OS dosen't have developement and i have payed for a key for cc2 that is valid in cc3. I'm not swiming in money, neither my cleints of CC2.

I'm installing CC3 final now and an easy way of tranfering the Database from CC2 to CC3 would be very apreciated (I'm lasy :sleep: so what, sew me!!!) but if that's not possible let's put hand's to the database and squeeze it to CC3 :)

On the week end i will have more time to dig on CC3 monday i will post to everyone my results.

Guest twisted

The tables in v.2 for categories, customers and inventory have been carried over to v.3, although they do have some different/additional field names.

It shouldn;t be too difficult to slightly alter your current data to fit the v.3 format.

Unfortunately, I am pressed for time, so it may not be me that does this.

:blink: :D

I'm planning to do an upgrade in about a week - working on my fresh installed CC3 wholesale site first, then planning to upgrade my 6 current stores to V3 so I'll post the best way I've found to do it when I do. Can't say exactly when this will be - probably sometime next week or weekend.

Not looking forward to it all that much since I have thousands of items on each of my sites :huh:

If someone wants to add their ideas or try it before I do, having moved sites from one server to another, restored tables my hosting company somehow deleted when they moved servers, and done other things, what I'm thinking is...

Backup *everything*

Install V3 into a new directory on your server .and create a new database for it.. do NOT install over existing files or try to use the same database!! You're asking for trouble if you do!

Make sure V3 is working and do settings, etc, as you prefer.

Then the hard part...

Compare the 2 databases table by table and import data from the backup to the new v3 database one table at a time, changing field names as necessary. (someone more well versed in phpmyadmin/mysql will have to write this section...after a LOT of trial and error, I can do this part, but not sure if I'll be able to explain it well enough, especially for newbies :()

In theory, once all the data has been transferred, you will have to go thru each product and add anything missing or new to v3 (such as weight since I'm going to switch to using it for better shipping calculations etc).

Once everything is working (and you've thoroughly tested everything of course), do a php redirect to the v3 directory.

This way, your store will *never* be down...people will be using your v2x version until you have everything working in v3 (and you can easily switch back to v2x for a while if you need to).

Once everything is fine and dandy with v3, you can delete the old store directory and old database to save room on your server.

Then of course the ongoing process of making any modifications you want, etc continues as with any CC installation.

Compare the 2 databases table by table and import data from the backup to the new v3 database one table at a time, changing field names as necessary. (someone more well versed in phpmyadmin/mysql will have to write this section...after a LOT of trial and error, I can do this part, but not sure if I'll be able to explain it well enough, especially for newbies :huh:)

In theory, once all the data has been transferred, you will have to go thru each product and add anything missing or new to v3 (such as weight since I'm going to switch to using it for better shipping calculations etc).

I was just sitting down and comparing the instal scrypts for version 2.0.7 and version 3, and I came to the same conclusion that you just posted here, Mysty.

That's going to be an awful lot of work... One thing I'd be concerned about is the auto-increment fields. I'm not sure how those will work if you dump a pre-populated table with no values for that field into the new database. Will it fill in automatically? Or will you have to go in and add the numbers later. (I noticed this for the inventory table, where version 3 has a new auto-increment field whereas the version 2 database does not.)

I was just sitting down and comparing the instal scrypts for version 2.0.7 and version 3, and I came to the same conclusion that you just posted here, Mysty.

That's going to be an awful lot of work... One thing I'd be concerned about is the auto-increment fields. I'm not sure how those will work if you dump a pre-populated table with no values for that field into the new database. Will it fill in automatically? Or will you have to go in and add the numbers later. (I noticed this for the inventory table, where version 3 has a new auto-increment field whereas the version 2 database does not.)

True. I would *think* the auto incremental field would auto number as you import into it, but I haven't tried this yet of course so there is no telling.

It's definitely going to be a pain in the you-know-what, but v3 has soooo many useful new features, I'll definitely have to bite the bullet at some point, starting with my smallest store and working up to the biggies. I'll let everyone know what happens when I do it.