Version 3.0 Install For Dummies

Guest sandeek

Guest sandeek

Would it be possible for CubeCart or anyone else to create a set of instructions on how to install CubeCart v.3.0 for those of us who know little to absolutely nothing about FTP or uploading files and the like?

My web host offers v.2.0.7 (not v.3.0) and it will automatically install itself. They do not offer any support for cubecart whatsoever. I, of course, would like to use v.3.0 rather than v.2.0.7.

I downloaded v.3.0 and followed the instructions to upload the files to my web host under my domain name. Really didn't have a clue as to what I was doing and tried ever which way to cause v.3.0 to install. And yes, I was able to create a MYsql database before I did any uploading. Nothing happened other than I ate up a bunch of my allotted disk space.

I guess it's like learning anything new. After you go thru the trials and tribs and know your way around...it's not so bad. Gets to be like riding a bike. But for those of us who are new to all this, it can really become a comedy of errors and more errors.

Hopefully, and in the near future, CubeCart will create some sort of a "Download and Install to Your Site" Wizard for those of us who really haven't a clue about creating a website. Until then, is there someone who can break down the install of v.3.0 into real simple layman's terms and not skip any steps (not assume we know a whole heck of a lot)?

Your efforts will be hugely appreciated I can assure you.

Thanks in advance,

sandeek

Guest sandeek

:huh:

this was done by lightspeed when first alpha version of cc3 came out a while ago

a simple search would of got u this cc3 instructions

Downloaded lightspeed's instructions, read them and then downloaded CCv.3.0.

By the way, "Thanks" lightspeed for creating and posting those install instructions.

From the instructions I was able to accomplish the following:

1) CubeCart v3 requires at minimum:

Linux Operating System – at this point, Windows servers are not supported – check the forum for updates.

PHP 4.1.1+

MySQL 3.2.3+

GD 1.6+ (GD 2 is recommended for optimal thumbnail quality)

Register Globals OFF is recommended for increased security, but is not needed.

If you are unsure as to wether or not your server meets these requirements, you can create a server info file by inserting the following

code into a new .php file.

<?php

phpinfo()

?>

EVERYTHING ABOVE, A OK.

2) Next, you will need to create a database, and assign a user to it. For this example, we’re using a cPanel hosted website – other control

panels will vary. The steps involved in doing this is:

1. Create a new database

2. Create a new user

3. Assign the user to the database

All these are available from the “SQL Databases†page within cPanel.

DATABASE CREATED WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.

Here's where it fell apart for me:

First thing’s first. Once you know that your server meets the requirements, you can upload all the files to your web server via FTP.

Now you can navigate to the main directory in your browser (i.e. if you uploaded to a folder called “cubecart†then you would go to

www.yourdomain.com/cubecart/)

Your browser will automatically redirect you to the installation script.

Not sure how to FTP and not sure how make things work when I'm in my FileManager.

sandeek

Guest teddy

I have to say, this install has to be the easiest I have ever done.

http://www.hobbiesco.com

I have OS commerce running (CRE Loaded 6.1a) with my other store... www.gamesoftco.com and it was a real *)(*&) setting up the store...

Your Install PDF was very nicely put together. Simple and sweet.

I like the fact that Cubecart won't even work until you have chmod 'd the global file.

Quick question... I'm getting ready to play around with this thing...

If I do consider migrating my other store over to this cart... Is there any rumor of having some type of "easypopulate" Like is offered in OS commerce??

So if one has access to .CVS files, they could upload and populate their store like that?

I'm just thinking of the future. Right now my store www.gamesoftco.com is setup on a script that runs every a.m. which updates all my products with the inventory numbers etc.

Guest sandeek

Redhatking, I have downloaded smartftp and am trying to figure out the v.3.0 install.

Many thanks for the info and also for the offer to help.

sandeek

• 2 weeks later...