Can't install any CC without DNS???

I'm encountering an installation issue that strikes me as weird.

I host a few dozen web sites on a Unix / Red Hat box that includes cPanel and Fantastico. I have a new client who wants a CC store. The client already has a web site on someone else's server.

The plan is to leave that site on that server while I build a CC-based site on my server.

So I setup an account in cPanel and I can acces it using

http://myIP#)/~accountname/.

I uploaded CC3 and tried to us the provided installation wizard. But at the final step I got a bunch of errors. I posted them here but got no meaningful response. I wrote to CC Tech Support and got the answer that there is no support available.

I deleted the installation and the MySQL db.

Since my server has Fantastico - and it offers CC2.07, I installed that with the intention of satisfying the client's immediate need - and then upgrading to CC3 further down the road. Good plan, right?

The Fantastico installation of CC2.07 seemed to go well. But the installation is defective.

For one thing, there's no CC default logo.

But more serious, the admin CP opens but then produces only 404s for all the admin CP links.

My upstream hosting TS says the above problems are because I am trying to do this at http://myIP#)/~accountname/

That' doesn't make sense to me, but what the hell - I really don't know for sure. Can anyone confirm or refute the TS analysis?

TIA

Because Fantastico installs using your domain name the configuration for CubeCart will make the site look for files/images in the yourdomain.com/store/xxxxx address, instead of http://[yourip]/store/xxxxx address. You can change the settings in the databse (store_config table: store_dir and store_url fields to the [ip] address) until the domain is setup and pointing to that server.

OK - I'm back- I'm no Indiana Jones or Crocadile Dundee - so I gotta tell you, it's scary in there.

I went in through PHPmyadmin, found cubecartstore_config, clicked on it and got a long list of files. Found site_url but don't see how to reconfigure it so it references the IP and not the domain name.

Got brave and clicked in the "T" icon (Text?) and it displays

An index has been added on site_url (Query took 0.0461 sec)

SQL-query:

ALTER TABLE `cubecartstore_config` ADD FULLTEXT (

`site_url`

)

[Edit] [Create PHP Code]

END QUOTE

But I'm afraid to do anything else from that point because it's either gonna bite or blowup.

Can you give me some specific steps by step suggestions? I know it's getting late down there (my son and grandson live close to Manly Beach) so I'll appreciate anything you can offer before you put the cat out for the night.

TIA

Guest i-netmedia

howdy,

My advice would simply be to wait for the domain to resolve, cpanel & fantastico are both a little 'buggy' until a domain has resolved. Any changes you make to your CC config or MySql db for http://myip#/~accountname would need to be rolled back once your clients domain has resolved. It's simply not worth the hassle to you...

Your client should understand. Also the fantastico installation is not the way to go as any edits to the core files in CC will 'break' the Fantastico installer, this would lead you to more problems when and if you needed to upgrade.

Please PM me if I can help any further

Regards

Ed

Depending on which version of phpMyAdmin you have, going to "Browse" for the store_config table, you should be then able to click a check-box next to the row with all the data in it, then clicking the little pencil below it (hover over it and it should show "Edit" as the tool-tip).

Then the next page should allow you to edit the store_url field as you require :lol: