Installation should not be so difficult

There's a disconnect in the installation instructions and I think it is caused by assumptions on the part of those who created the installation protocol. I have followed the instructions carefully - only to discover that there are trip-ups along the way that are not mentioned or anticipated.

For example, I was having a hell of time trying to install CC3. I was getting error messages at the end of the install that no one here responded to. Eventually, after persisting in explaining details about the incomplete installation, I was advised that CC3 can only be installed after the DNS has propagated, not while it is in an IP#/~account mode.

That the installer requires a propagated DNS is assumed and never mentioned in the installation instructions. It should be. Yes, I'm sure some people are saying, "well of course it's required."

But that's what an assumption is; not recognizing that other possibilities exist. Some of us *do* need to to be told how to pour pig-***t out of a boot even though the instructions are printed on the sole.

Anyway, after that debacle, I got the DNS propagated and did a fresh install using the Installer. Actually, I did not complete the install. I am being tripped up at the final steps by other assumptions.

I set up www.domainname.com/store/, upload the files and do a correct CHMOD. Note I am using "store" for the directory and the files are uploaded there.

In the instructions, which are based on having cPanel and MySQL (which I have), I am told to create a dB.

I define the dB Name as (all these quoted details are examples) as "clientstore" and the pw as "password".

I define the dB User Name as "clientstore" (repeating the name, just to keep things simple) and the User Password as "password" (same reason.)

But after they are saved, and I'm looking at the screen, cPanel has changed them to

dB Name: clientstore_clientstore

User: clientstore_clientsto (truncated like that)

I go into the CC3 Installer, and all goes well until I'm filling in the form. Here's where I am again frustrated by assumptions.

The form offers me examples of what is wanted.

Database Name: XXXXXXXXXX e.g. cubecart_database

and the illustration in the instructions fills in the field "cubecart_database". Since the instructions use "cubecart" as the directory, I belive that what is wanted here is "directory_dbname" - translated to "store_clientstore"

The next line says:

Database Username: XXXXXXXX e.g. database_user

So is the Database Username what I defined it a . . . "clientstore" ?

Or is it literally the database and the user name . . . "clientstore_clientstore"???

I go though similar exercises for the other fields - and when I am all done, and click on the final step, I get an error message saying that the clientstore_clientstore@localhost is not accepted.

Of what use is such an error message? It's not as if all the data are unknown. Why then doesn't the system simply tell me what it DOES want? If it is rejecting what I am offering, doesn't that imply that it already knows what is required? Why doesn't it simply responded with that?

Is the dB name the single word I defined it as? Or what cPanel changed it to? Or is it the two_word configuration that the instructions suggest?

Is the user name what I defined? Or what cPanel changed it to? Or is the example in the instructions correct and to be taken literally that says that the dbname is the directory_dbname?

What is the pint of the "_" if it doesn't describe that this type of a string is required?

So I go back and I try every variation of those names, singly and in multi_word combinations, that I can think of (while having to refill the form every time since nothing is saved in each attempt) and none of them work.

Does anyone understand the issue here? Each step of the process uses different definitions and nowhere is it clarified which is to be applied. Am I too literal minded or not sufficiently imaginative in applying the various conflicting instructions?

At this point I am very frustrated and still without a fully installed CC3.

Can someone here clarify this for me, please? Maybe I can PM you with root access so you can see what I'm talking about and either tell me what is wanted in those fields or do it for me?

HElp will be greatly appreciated.

Guest twisted

In Cpanel, if your hosting account name is, for example, "brownie", then any database, and database username, will be appended with that name.

So if you create a database called "cubestore", then your database will be named brownie_cubestore. Ditto with a username. If you create a db username of admin, your db username will be brownie_admin. This is not something cubecart does or has any responsibilty for or control over. This is what CPanel does, and theres nothing that can be done about it. Its just the way things work.

The password, however, will be what you enter,so if your password is "password", it will BE "password", and not brownie_password.

You now have the detials to enter in during the installation process.

Database server: localhost [not brownie@locahost, not [email protected] localhost]

Database Name: brownie_cubestore

Database username: brownie_admin

Database password: password

If you have that information correct, and the correct permissions set on the various files/folders...then there is no reason you should have any troubles installing it.

Twisted,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I truly appreciate it.

But I have tried, or at least I believe I have tried it, exactly as you describe it, but it's still not working.

May I PM you the real details, and the install script URL, and ask you to have a shot at it?

TIA

Guest twisted

Sure.

Use email ...... designer at designscubed dot com

Send me:

Your CPanel username [not your password as I don;t intend accessing your CPanel]

Your database name

Your database username

Your database password

I will also need ftp access in order to set/change the permissions, so I will also need your ftp login and password.

Oh, and of course, a URL. :(

• 6 months later...

Hi twisted,

That's very clear, thanks...but I can't get it to work.

Last time I had no problem filling it in, but I had also used the same username/password/email address as I had on my hosting account.

Anyway, if I go by what you say, I should put it in

username_database name under database name and

username_database name under username.

But the install page uses the example:

cubecart_database

database_user

My cpanel shows my database name and username as the same thing:

leilac2_ccrt4

I get this error:

MySQL Error Occured

1045: Access denied for user: 'XXXXX_ccrt4@localhost' (Using password: YES)

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

You mentioned permissions...how can I find out what the files should be set to? I didn't have any trouble with step 2.

Thank for any help!

Leila

Sure.

Use email ...... designer at designscubed dot com

Send me:

Your CPanel username [not your password as I don;t intend accessing your CPanel]

Your database name

Your database username

Your database password

I will also need ftp access in order to set/change the permissions, so I will also need your ftp login and password.

Oh, and of course, a URL. :blink:

Guest kpowerscvg

sounds like you don't have a user account assigned to the database, or the account you have assigned has the wrong password.

try creating a new database user name and password and assign it to the ccrt4 database. then run the install or update

Thanks kpowerscvg,

I created a new database and it worked like a charm...not sure why it didn't before.

I was a bit thrown off by the examples on install because they don't apply to cpanel:

Database Name:

e.g. cubecart_database

Database Username:

e.g. database_user

...but it works now. yay.

one possible problem though- the install said that my global file was back to 644 and it wasn't of course...had to change that myself.

sounds like you don't have a user account assigned to the database, or the account you have assigned has the wrong password.

try creating a new database user name and password and assign it to the ccrt4 database. then run the install or update