internationalization (addresses)

In version 2, In the user registration form, when a user is filling in their address, there are a number of required fields, such as address, city, state and country.

This is fine for users in the US but if a user changes their country, some of the fiels should no longer be required, such as state.

For example, there are no states in New Zealand.

Ideally, the required fields should refresh when you change the country...

(i.e if you select NZ as a country, State and zip should NOT be required, so their * should go away. )

required fields are:

• Full Name:
  • Email:
  • Address Line 1
  • Town/City
  • State/Province/Region
  • Post/Zipcode
  • Phone Number
  • Password

Of these, the 2 that do not apply to a lot of countries are:

• State/Province/Region
  • Post/Zipcode

Also, when I tried to go back to fill in required data, the form was empty (it didnt remember the fields I had filled in)

Is this fixed in version 3?

I posted this in version 2 forum and didnt get a very good response...

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index.php?showtopic=3662

Internationalization is very important for global providers.

This issue prevents me from using cube cart v2 and I am sure it affects other international users as well. I am hoping it is fixed in v3?

I look forward to hearing your feedback

i dont know if this has been fixed in v3 or not i doubt it some how the easiest way to overcome this would be to make the 2 fields not compulsory to input data this can be found in the forum i think if you do a search for removing fields or something like that it will come up, this is for v2 only tho as i dunno a lot bout v3 yet.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not just NZ.

What county in London in? ;)

Also, in large towns in the UK, the PostOffice tell you NOT to use the county in your address (e.g. Peterborough)

I made that part of the address non-mandatory ages ago. I'll do it in v3 too.

The issue for Brooky is, that in the US they have state specific tax rates and in CC admin you can set tax by state, so each customer needs one.

Next step would be to make the mandatory fields configurable. Something for 3.1 perhaps. Add it as a feature request here http://bugs.cubecart.com/

• 3 months later...

ok i sorted it ( i think :) ) for V3

open up reg.inc file in includes/content folder

find roughly line 45

if(empty($_POST['firstName']) || empty($_POST['lastName']) || empty($_POST['email']) || empty($_POST['phone']) || empty($_POST['add_1']) || empty($_POST['town']) || empty($_POST['county']) || empty($_POST['postcode']) || empty($_POST['country']) || empty($_POST['password']) || empty($_POST['passwordConf'])){

as you can see these are the required fields with error message try deleting the part you dont want mandatory so for example if you wanna remove state delete

empty($_POST['county']) ||

do that for each field u want optional make sure u get one set of || to or it will look weird

hope this works :D

yea, I got that all working (thanks estelle) but I (and others) have been asking for an easier way to do it (my first comment requesting this is back in cubecart2)

This seems like an obvious feature to add to an upcoming version... as there are many international users !