The Validity of Shop based on Design

Guest sheriff_bob

Guest sheriff_bob

Okay heres my question for discussion.

Are people willing to buy from a site that looks like every other 3 column site?

Personally I think long and hard before I buy from Web shop, that look like very little work went into the design. Now I'm not saying that I anything worth talking about. But would it not benefit the community to express the need for real skinning. Not just color changes. With a little work and playing Cubecart can easily be modified to fit any design. Other then some frustrating PHP code it can be done.

I would be willing to make some templates, but people would have to deal with my table and css mix. and I have no idea how that would go over.

Your thoughts.

Im sure that the people who are using v3 would be very grateful of any help you can offer them with regards to skinning there cart.

I personally like clean clear carts i dont want to be bamboozled with images and pretty designs i take it like shopping in town i wanna get in an out when buying online. Yes in some cases a well designed store will intrigue me and maybe tell a few friends about it.

my 2 cents

What validates a web store?

Content :)

With that being said though, I think the more options the better! I'm always looking for something new and exciting but when I buy stuff on line (most of my shopping is done online) I care more about price and content than I do how the store looks. Granted, I might not buy something from somebody who has a store full of spelling errors just to save a buck but I can't ever recall not buying something online because their site looked like a "nuked" page or similar :rolleyes:

Guest bwoose

I think this is a great question, and that the answer is mostly quite obvious; great design pays. It is why most companies with a serious budget spend a lot of time and resources getting all aspects of a site to look like their brand and to act as professionally as possible. Cube Cart, in my opinion, doe a very good job of getting us down the road to the goal of creating a great site; it is clean, simple to navigate, and general presents itself better than most sites created by amateurs. What is going to make your customers trust you probably has more to do with the quality of the photography, the descriptions you write, and the overall branding (skin, design, look and feel) that you apply. Just click through the lists of submitted sample site and it is easy to see who you might be less likely to trust and who looks like they are a real, and established, company.

That said, I think the three column question irrelevant because CC makes it so easy to get rid of the stuff you don't need. I only sell in the USA, so I got rid of all the language and currency stuff because to have it makes the site look crowded and sends mixed messages. I also only use two columns - figure that one out!!!

i will say it agin a good design does not make for a good store.Yes layout is important but why would you buy from a store with pretty pictures over a store with 3 columns and 2 colour scheme?

I agree with Homer. :P

My "store" right now is nothing more than a single HTML page! The reason I am looking at CC is because I picture it saving me time. Right now I have my own "store" hidden on my own information site (not really linked anywhere!!!) because I'm having trouble keeping up with my part time online Internet job I've created with my single page store. So, in my case, I have found that it's my content that sells and not so much the appearance of my page... I just can't keep up with the emails I get anymore (and I type 100 wpm!) so need a simple point-click-order method to reduce the number of emails I respond to. Sure, I'm going to try to make it look nice but I believe my content and prices are going to be more important than people looking at my site and thinking "this is a module based nuke looking site so it must be cheesey". I mean, what's more cheesey than what I have now with a single HTML page??? :rolly: and that doesn't seem to stop people from ordering from me :D

Guest mthomassen

I think 2 or 3 columns is not much an issue, I have seen both very nice and a lot less nice.

The look and quality of the site depends ( for me ) on the product that you sell and to what kind of public. I will give an example : I saw a store that sells cigars for 60$ each and sometimes more....their customers want only the best, they have the money and I think they would never buy in a poor looking shop.

On the other hand, I saw a " less professional " looking store that sells car parts, used and new, their customers go " for the deal " , they did big business and the average price was more then 60 $ ( compared to the cigar shop )

Your store has to be " correct ", all working, no mistakes, don't give the customer the feeling that you can't handle things, by having a store that is not correct.

Marcel.

Exclusive Door and Window surounds looking like ancient stone.

Guest bjlandlew

I will say that as a long-time net shopper that I could care less if your store is plain jane or all bells & whistles.

All I care is that I can:

1) Find and purchase the products I want quickly w/o hassle

2) Have some sort of follow-up and be able to easily contact customer service

3) Oh wait! Did I mention service?!? I want excellent service and quick shipping!

That's it, that's all I friggin ask for and there are ALOT of online stores that do at least one of those things poorly.

Just a lil love note. :) :rolleyes: