Show categories on front index page

Guest fuchsiashock

Guest vrakas

Why would you want this on your site?

I beleive its better to show the latest products as they change more frequently.

I must admit it looks nice :errm:

PS: I didnt find anything to help you out, maybe later when i have more time to kill or when i want it.

Guest fuchsiashock

Because that is what I want.

But if you must know, consider that the actual shop may not be the whole site but maybe the shop is in a subfolder/subsection of the site, then you dont want an index or 'welcome' page to the section, you just want to show categories straight away.

So, how do you do it?

Guest fuchsiashock

I guess thiss problem is why some people havent used subcategories but rather have named their categories as subs:

eg

Instead of

Shop

Clothing (cat)

Tshirts (subcat)

Trousers (subcat)

They use

Shop

Clothing : Tshirts (cat)

Clothing : Trousers (cat)

Then just list the products on the front page of the category.

Still have problem displaying where in the shop you are tho...

Hello

It is unbelivable that to show latest products on frontpage is the default. It is a stepback from V2. It is far more logical to display the categories and then clicking on them display the produckts inside the category.

If this can not be fixed - I have to stay at V2.

Nils

Guest fuchsiashock

I thought this might be a v2 function as there are many sites out there that DO have their categories on the front page with images.

Dude, having your categories "on the front page" is a layout thing. If you have no idea on how to do this, you really shouldn't be running a website or stick to CC2.

Dude, having your categories "on the front page" is a layout thing. If you have no idea on how to do this, you really shouldn't be running a website or stick to CC2.

Hello

Thank you for your great help.

Nils

Guest fuchsiashock

its hardly a layout thing it involves calling the database sql categories dynamically like the categories.tpl box does only that can only be called once where it is.

So look at the categories template for the navigation and adapt it to the layout you want. Not that hard. You could probably also use that section in the index page from v2x store to adapt it to 3x. The categories table didn't change much from v2 to v3.

Personally, having categories on the front page was always dumb to me and I used a hack to change it to latest products added on my v2x stores. Why do you want to repeat your categories when they are already in the links in the nav box anyway????

Plus having some products on your home page will allow search engines to pick up some of your products - a much better search result than categories.

To each their own though and if you really want to do it, a little time reading thru the php code and working with the layouts will do it.

Guest fuchsiashock

so while i've got you chatting, what about a working breadcrumb trail that would dynamically link back to the level above?

Guest vrakas

Thats what i said in my first on the top post :D

everything is possible, but everything is NOT for free. Not just yet

I think you might get a solution to this if you require it by paying.

The reason is that nobody from the persons that know how do this wants this option and therefore will not spend the time for free.

;)

OK this thread needs to die.

How often do the categories change on your front page? Not very often I hope. So why don't you take out the code for the link and the featured products and just embed some pics and titles that link to your categories. This would take like 15 mins.

This is not a "technical" problem. This question should be on the Skins & Templates board. Anyone with basic web experience could figure this out.