Loading products from a text file

I tried to upload a text file with all the products via mysql admin into table (..inventory) as a test, the products are showing in the admin but not in the front page. I can do a search query from the front page and all products matching query show. Why can't I see the full category of products when clicking on category - "Spruce Posts"?

Thanks, John Crook.

Lewis Timber store

I had the same problem... Don't know why but this works. Go to the admin section, choose to edit one of the products not showing up, change it to a different category, and then change it back to the original... Shows up then. Don't ask me why. We paid a 12 year old to do this for 900 products for our store.

It's really hard to comment on this without coming across as a jerk, but here goes...

Before you just blindly start importing text files into an application database such as CubeCart's, you really should take the time to understand the relationship of the various tables. If you had done that, you would understand exactly why you got the outcome you did. There are at least three tables that should be modified when data is entered to have the system know for sure what's going on. If that had been done, you would have not had to do anything at all in the admin panel to have your inventory work exactly as expected.

I understand that not all of you are programmers or have much database experience. I guess the proper warning would be that if you toy with what you do not understand, you cannot complain or be upset that things don't work right. :D

I have a decent amount of experiences with databases... In the example that happened to us, there was no change that I could see in the database before or after it worked. So I don't understand your point.

You have to populate the _inventory table along with the _cats_idx table with your inventory items and their respective category specifications. Then you should update the _category table with the total number of items in each category. This step may or may not be 100% necessary (I'm still reading through all the functions and modules), but it would not be there unless it had a purpose.

But I can tell you after testing that if you only import items into the _inventory table without also doing the _cats_idx table, your items will NOT display correctly in the cart or the admin panel. However when you change the category then change it back as you did, the system will create an appropriate entry in the _cats_idx table for that product.

Yep did all that... Still had to go through each product in the admin section and update them at least once before they worked...

What is actually funny is that those products did show up in my featured and most popular products...