structure of cubecart 3

Guest iamjohngalt

Guest iamjohngalt

I appreciate all the great info in the forums here, and have been reading a lot for the past week since I "discovered" cubecart. I'm trying to get an understanding so I can efficiently make modifications, create templates, create new boxes providing content that isn't currently offered. Unfortunately, I can't find something that covers how the files interact, what feeds what. Is there a structural explanation somewhere for ver 3 (not ver 2)? Is there something that describes the process that gets the content of a box from database query to screen display, with an example? I don't expect a lesson on SQL or PHP programming, but a flow of the components involved, where they reside, and what they do would be very instructive.

Anyone else looking for this? Did I just miss the forest while seeing the trees?

Guest vrakas

Hi there,

well at least i havent seen anything in this forum about what you require, apart from what i gather from varius posts.

A piece here and piece there. :)

Guest idara

Hi there,

well at least i havent seen anything in this forum about what you require, apart from what i gather from varius posts.

A piece here and piece there.  ;)

Hi Cubers !

It would be a great thing if someone can gather all the information and try to make a USER MANUAL for CC3 ! :)

It will be a great help for the newbies like me :)

Regards

Yunus

Guest iamjohngalt

vrakas, if you have links to the specific posts, could you post them here, and perhaps with posts from others I can start to compile and organize them in this thread for everyone to use.

Anyone reading this, if you can assist with details, or if you can direct me to another thread containing a list of such posts, it will help.

While I agree that a users manual would be a very good thing, what you're asking for is more of a programmers manual. I can see that in an open source solution, but not a commercial product (or semi-commercial as the case may be). The codebase belongs to Devellion and brooky.

I would think for a programmers manual to be made available, a person would have to not only purchase a license, but probably also sign a non-disclosure agreement or appropriate non-compete clause, etc. Having a step by step manual of data flow through the application with references to all functions and template calls and locations would give a competitor a big hand up in building thier own version. Then where does that leave brooky?

Guest iamjohngalt

Sir William,

As I am grateful to Brooky for this fine piece of work, I would certainly not want to publish something to do him harm. That said, cubecart is said to be a cart system with template features so that users can personalize their sites, and that is one of the attractions of cubecart. That personalization is my intent, and I would like to have enough detail to facilitate that task. I do not think that a step by step data flow with references to all functions is required here. I would hope that it would be possible to explain the ways to make cosmetic and limited functional changes without damaging the owner's asset. For example, the task of creating a new content box is a reasonable one for a template system, but it is not obvious how to accomplish it. The value of cubecart to Devellion should be enhanced by the sharing of the information by improving the ease of use for site designers and making cubecart more attractive.

Guest idara

As I am grateful to Brooky for this fine piece of work, I would certainly not want to publish something to do him harm.

All the cubers are really greatful for the fantastic work done by Brooky, and wish him all the best and sucess :) our intention by willing to have User manual is NOT to harm anyone, no way.

As I am grateful to Brooky for this fine piece of work, I would certainly not want to publish something to do him harm.

{snip}

For example, the task of creating a new content box is a reasonable one for a template system, but it is not obvious how to accomplish it. The value of cubecart to Devellion should be enhanced by the sharing of the information by improving the ease of use for site designers and making cubecart more attractive.

John, in the respect you mention, I wholly agree with you. A beginners and an advanced Users Manual would be great things. They would not only help the users but ultimately Devillion as they would allow others to better use the system than get discouraged because they don't know how to do a certain thing.

I guess the geek in me thought about the programmers reference side of things and how easily something like that can come back to bite you in the tail feathers. I certainly meant no harm or ill intention by it all. :D

Guest fiddy

I would add that a user-guide re the interaction of each of the shipping types would help no end.

In general, CCv3 is getting really clever (YCRTA complicated) and the further down this road it progresses the harder it is to intuitively know how to use it to it's best potential. Some may even be starting to get frustrated by it.

I know, I know. Userguides are the boring bit, code cutting it the exciting bit. :D