Digital Downloads ..... AGAIN

Guest tinydancer

Guest tinydancer

There have been a lot of posts about this problem, yet no intelligent or helpfull responses.

The digital download facility, apart from having NO clear directions from admin page, does not work consistently. The process takes the order, we change the level to 'processing', enable the 'send e mail' button and hey presto .... customer recieves an e mail with his download link .... wonderful, except ..... the next poor soul that orders the download DOES NOT get a link in his e mail, or the next, or the next ... oh, hang on that customer got it, but the next one didn't.

Those of us who would like to continue using CubeCart, and would probably go on to buy the licence, need these issues to be addressed, even if its just to tell us 'sorry, it don't work, find another delivery method'. The ramblings of experienced programmers, while no doubt impressive to each other, are of little use to us mere mortals who simply want to run our businesses through what is, potentially, a very nice online shopping solution. So, with all due respect, and on behalf of the other half dozen or so users with similar problems, I ask the question again ......

How does the digital download/delivery system work in CubeCart 3.0.1, what triggers or stops the e mail displaying the download link, what could cause it to work on some orders but not on others?

Can anyone answer these questions ... PLEASE???

Glenn

Guest Longview

Hi Doc27 & Tinydancer,

I'm new to this board guys, but have been working with CubeCart for a few weeks, and I'm probably in a similar boat to you 2!

What I've discovered is 2 things:

1. CubeCart is probably the best and most adaptable "free" cart available, I say free because you can use it without licensing it provided you are happy to keep the copyright notices intact, which I am.

2. People like us (Doc, tiny and myself) are never going to get the support or help we need from this forum because the people who actually have the knowledge are more interested in showing their fellow programmers how clever they are than actually helping, and the rest of us are just simple users struggling with a poorly documented product.

Doc & Tiny, I picked out this post because the site I am working on is 'download' based and I may be able to throw some light on some of the problems you are having. I'll start an my beginning, which may not be where you started, if you get my drift:

When adding new products you have the option to use stock level, I always set this to 'no', there is another box by this one that asks if your product is 'tangible' or 'digital', even now I sometimes forget this, it defaults to tangible and you must set it to digital. A little box opens up where you can type in the location of the file you want your customer to download, cubecart encrypts this location before it shows it to your customer. When your customer makes an order you get notified that the order has been placed THIS DOESN'T MEAN THE CUSTOMER HAS PAID THOUGH! I,m trying to get to the bottom of that issue at the moment. OK, so you have your new order which on your screen now says 'pending' you need to change this to 'processing'. NOW I MISSED THIS NEXT BIT FOR AGES:

when you click on the 'save order status' button at the bottom of the page, the page refreshes with the new level AND a little note at the top of the page that tells you at this stage you can send the customer an e mail invoive and info to access digital downloads. What isn't immediately obvious, is that you MUST click on the words 'click here' in order to make this happen. Your customer then gets an e mail with encrypted links to their purchases, this link is valid for 72 hours and they have 3 attempts to download it. You can change the time the link is active by going to 'general settings' in the admin screen, its toward the bottom.

I'm still working through some minor issues with payment gateways and other little niggles that are probably down to my not knowing how to make certain things work.

I hope this helps someone in some way, I'm no expert, just an ordinary Joe, so my terminology may be a bit basic!

Longview

Guest fiddy

when you click on the 'save order status' button at the bottom of the page, the page refreshes with the new level AND a little note at the top of the page that tells you at this stage you can send the customer an e mail invoive and info to access digital downloads. What isn't immediately obvious, is that you MUST click on the words 'click here' in order to make this happen

Ah-ha!! good spot that man, cheers.

comes back to my comment that the perception of CC3 could be even better than it is if some substantial documentation came with it.

I've been impressed with the docs that come with http://phpadsnew.com for example

Guest spence

Longview,

Thanks for your very helpful post!

If you figure this part out:

When your customer makes an order you get notified that the order has been placed THIS DOESN'T MEAN THE CUSTOMER HAS PAID THOUGH! I,m trying to get to the bottom of that issue at the moment.

would you be so kind as to come tell us what you discovered?

Guest jaycarney

I use paypal IPN, so when it is paid, paypal automatically verifies the payment, the link is sent out and I recieve an email that its been paid for. I have gone through the process myself and twice with friends. All times they paid directly through paypal, then recieved the email shortly thereafter.

Guest mslaga

You should try IPN with an eCheck payment, you will receive confirmation from Paypal but you will not have funds yet in your account.

Guest Longview

Wow, I'm glad I managed to help someone!!

The notification of payment thing is one of the issues i'm trying to sort out now. IF I understand this correctly; the payment gateways I use (PayPal and NOCHEX) don't actually communicate with the cart directly, so as soon as someone clears the checkout, the cart ASSUMES all is well and tells us we have an order. The only work around i've found is to wait about 10 minutes for the e mail from paypal or nochex, generally i've found that if it doesn't come in that time, it ain't goingto come at all! In my case its a worry because i'm not the one who will administer the store, there's 3 people involved and you just know one of them will send stuff thats not paid for. Maybe someone can help us to change the e mail we get tellingus there'sa new order? It would be helpful if that could say CHECK PAYMENT STATUS BEFORE PROCESSING or something. The IPN thing works fine, but PayPals notification system isn't that quick, so you may still have the problem. I'm still working on though and will be happy to share any tips i disover along the way.

Guest Longview

Longview,

Thanks for your very helpful post!

If you figure this part out:

When your customer makes an order you get notified that the order has been placed THIS DOESN'T MEAN THE CUSTOMER HAS PAID THOUGH! I,m trying to get to the bottom of that issue at the moment.

would you be so kind as to come tell us what you discovered?

I have found an inconsistency with the paypal gateway that might give some clues here:

when you check out through paypal you don't always get to the same screen, one gives you the option to 'pay by credit card' (shown in a panel on the top left of the screen) or 'get a paypal account' (in a box on the right). If a customer pays through this screen, I get a 'pending order' appearing on my admin. Once the payment is cleared through paypal, without any input from me, the level changes to 'processing', my customer gets instant access to their download and I get an e mail from paypal saying i've been paid.

BUT....

Another customer going through the same process see's a different screen, with no option to pay immediately by credit card, just a login panel and a button to click if you don't have a paypal account. These screens take ages to load! My customer goes through the process of giving their details, card number etc, and are then invited to 'save their details'. If they take that option, they go off to another paypal page, welcoming them to paypal and no further reference is made to their purchase from my site. I then recieve an e mail from paypal saying the payment is made, but I have to manually change the order level and send the access links.

This a very annoying bug, but I think its fair to say that its an issue with paypal rather than with cubecart. The only difference I have noticed between the 2 paypal screens is the the first one (seemingly the most effective) appears to come from https://paypal.com/bla bla bla bla and the problem page seems to come from https://paypal.com/uk/bla bla bla bla bla. I have e mailed paypal but no response at the moment.

Hope this helps someone, its just confused the hell out of me!

longview