Online Store Question

Hello,

I am completely new to Cube Cart. I just had a few questions before I start using the software.

I already have a website and forum, and I plan to store downloads for the PC game X-Plane on my website. I would like to introduce a store. However, I will not be selling the items. People who register at the store will be able to sell things - all items will be downloaded once purchased. i.e. I will NOT be sending anything by post - each item will be downloaded because I will be distributing X-Plane addons, created by the community. Before you ask, this is legal because X-Plane allows users to create addons (payware & freeware).

However, what I wanted to know is, will I be able to introduce a system where registered members can sell things (once I have approved them). I will host the files on the server. If only I can sell them, that might be a problem.

Secondly, where and how would I secure my files which are payware. I.e. I do not anyone to be able to download the files I store on my server, without paying for them. I don't want hackers for example to gain access to my products for nothing when everyone else pays - how can I protect these files? I don't want to pay for any software to be installed - freeware only.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

James

Guest Oscgfx

I havent tried this myself but you may be able to set up multiple administrators in cubecart. You would have to do this manually for each person you want to be able to sell things. However i think it would work.

Would that be a little bit of a security risk? Would they be able to change the way the store worked? I may have 15 people, almost all of which I don't know well.

James

Guest Oscgfx

Well then yes that could well be a security risk. Im not sure about whether or not not making them super users would be of any use - someone else might be able to shed some light on that. Sorry :P

Perhaps I would be able to sell these items under my name, but ensure the money is sent to those individual users...?

Surely with this software you can create additional users to sell their products? Do you know of any free software which does what I would like to do?

James

Guest Oscgfx

Not really im afraid, that is a tough one to judge because whatever happens you are going to have to manually check or look at each one to make sure it isn't illegal - or a security risk. Maybe have a look round on Hotscripts - you might find something.