Downloadable products

Guest magyver

Guest magyver

:wub:

Hi all,

My client is selling a download version of his products wich consists of 8 CD & 10 Workbooks (CD's converted to mp3 and workbooks are .pdf).

1. I want to put the files outside of the "/public_html/" directory. Something like "/home/hfprogrm/downloads/". Will this work?

2. I need to know what sort of permissions to set on the "downloads" directory and the files it contains. I was thinking "755" but not sure if this is too secure or not secure enough?

This is the curly one. And am curious to see if it works. I have advised my client to my reservations on this project due to the amount of data that the consumer will need to download & that it would be restricted to ADSL & Cable users only.

3. Because the product is so big (311MB in total) I have broken it down into 9 .zip files with the biggest at 58MB. I have already put the download path in the admin section "/home/hfprogrm/downloads/download.exe". How do I make it work? How does it work? Where does the the download.exe come from?

If this works, I have another 4 sites and shops to do the same, I will promote CubeCart for life and push all my customers to buy licences. I have used Mambo with a PHPShop mod installed and that works fine for traditional type websites where you need CMS and eCommerse. But the sites that i'm working on at the moment do not lend toward that type of setup.

"THEN I FOUND CUBECART" :lol:

I wish I had time to pull CC down to see how it works then I could get realy creative but at this stage I need your help and the creativity will have to wait.

:D

Yeah, it works well. Once you know how the admin post-purchase works it all becomes easy.

However, I don't think you can have > 1 download file attached to each product. Did you want all 9 of these zips as part of one product, or 9 separate products?

I have my folder outside the html folder, and chmod0755, which is the best way because you can limit the number/duration of downloads through CC Admin.

You set a default time & number for all downloads in Admin>Store config>general settings

Then for each product you stipulate the download path "/home/hfprogrm/downloads/filename.zip"

Once an order is placed, and you change the order status to 'processing', you'll see a message in blue at the top of the order page with a link to click. this will a. send an order confirmation email and b. send another email with the link the customer goes to to get the download. which is like htp://www.myshop.com/download.php?pid=4&oid=MDUwODA0LTEyMjAyMC0yODgz&ak=XilaC8Lq

Guest magyver

Thanx fiddy,

Your a big help.

Yes all 9 .zip files are for 1 product. I thought it would be easier in bite size chuncks.

Does this pose a problem? or has it not been tried? :lol:

I could make it one .zip file but 311MB is a big chunck for the most.

I just thought that it had a greater chance for success broken down.