Options with Prices

ghinton

Am I missing a way to set prices in options? I have over 10,000 products and every one uses the same set of options. Some sets have additional prices for the product. As I see it I have to add these to EVERY product manually. Is this correct?

Yes and no.

If you are not skilled at deriving and issuing SQL statements directly against your database, then Cubecart's admin Edit Product for every product is the way it has to be done. That said, for 10,000 products, you must have bulk imported them. Bulk importing options with the products is where CubeCart is not yet complete.

If all the products do use the same options, then the admin can create an "option set" (a rainbow of colors, for example) and assign that set to the product. Unfortunately, the admin still needs to set a price differential and weight for those options as they are assigned to the product.

Being skilled at deriving SQL statements, one can bulk update database records to accomplish the same thing.

I am curious to know the nature of these 10,000 products that all have the same option. I once worked with a CubeCart store owner that sold photographs. Each photograph was a standard item, with standard size options and associated price differentials. One alternate solution was to have just one legitimate product and one of the product's options was a text field to enter the desired photograph Ident number. (The Add to Basket button for the image as seen on the gallery page carried the Ident number and the image filename over to the option text field and image placeholder to the View Product page, but the product being viewed was the one and only real product.)

Yes, I did bulk import. I sell vinyl decals. Each decal has different sizes, and as they increase in size, the price increases. For example a 4" decal is the base price. A 5" decal is .75 more, a 6" is 1.50 more, etc. There are 7 options per item which require price modifications, so you can imagine, with over 10,000 items, that that would be impossible to do manually

I will assume that all of the decals do not sell for the same price. That is, the base price for Decal-A is $5.99 and Decal-B is $7.99. And did I understand correctly that not all decals come in all seven options? (However, I would suppose that these are manufactured on demand? That is to say, you are not worried about inventory levels?)

From the above, I would say that deriving SQL statements to do a "bulk update" directly against the database may not work if each decal requires a distinct subset of the seven options.

For your bulk import, do you do this on a regular basis, or did you just do an import one time? If a regular basis, are you importing directly into the database (using a utility such as phpMyAdmin) or using CubeCart's import facility?

Most of them have the same starting price. For example, the default size is $4. Each step larger is an additional .75. So, basically the options sets are all the same for every product.

I did one import from a CSV using CubeCart's importer.

I had planned on switching, but because of this issue I decided to go back to using the old shopping cart I was using previously. CubeCart is the first one I have seen that doesn't allow you to set recurring things, like prices or SKU additions, in the options.

• 8 months later...

If you mean to copy one product's set of existing options to other existing products, I do not see how (other than by direct database manipulation).

If you mean to "clone" an existing product, creating a brand new product from that data, then CubeCart has a Clone feature.

In admin, Store Settings, Extra tab, set "Product Clone" to enabled. Check the parameters you want to carry over to the clone.

Then, viewing the Product Inventory list, click the "clone" action icon of the clone source item.