Disable "Copy" option

Guest tbladecki

Guest tbladecki

I am trying to diable the "right" mouse click on my site... I do not want anyone to be able to "copy" images or text from my website. I know that there is a way to do it I just dont know how??? Can someone help me out here?

I placed this in header file of site running on ver 2

should do it for ver 3 ijust dunno where you would place it

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">

<!--

function opendetailwindow() {

window.open('','detailwindow','toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=no,width=680,height=480');

}

function right(e) {

if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' && (e.which == 2 || e.which == 3)) {

alert("© Copyright by ActionShots");

return false;

}

else if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && (event.button==2 || event.button == 3)) {

alert("To use these images please contact us.");

return false;

}

return true;

}

document.onmousedown=right;

if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);

window.onmousedown=right;

// -->

</script>

ummm no right click scripts are WORTHLESS

1) Dragging the image to the URL bar willopen the image in a new window with out your no right click

2) User can scrounge thru the tempoprary internet cache for the images

3) User can do Ctrl+right click+ enter to bypass the no right click

4) User can hit print screen button to screen capture the image and crop using favorite photo editor

face it if you put ANYTHING on the web people can steal it....

no right click scripts are WORTHLESS....

and oh by the way no right click scripts dont work in Firefox... the right click menu will always show...

Guest tbladecki

Evilhomer, thank you for your help. I will see if I can figure out which file to put it in. I am thinking either the header or inc files... not sure but will try to get it and let you know.

kinetic, thank you as well although they may be "worthless" they will at least keep the "honest" ones out LOL, I did not knwo the trick until you stated how to get around it. :mellow:

the "honest" ones wont steal... the ones who will know the tricks

face it if it is on the web it is there to be dowloaded

take it as a compliment if they steal your images ( could always puut a watermark on your images with your business name or domain name across the images just enough to make them worthless to steal but still yet usable to use on your site)

the "honest" ones wont steal... the ones who will know the tricks

face it if it is on the web it is there to be dowloaded

take it as a compliment if they steal your images ( could always puut a watermark on your images with your business name or domain name across the images just enough to make them worthless to steal but still yet usable to use on your site)

I'll be honest !! I agree with Kinetic on this one. Whilst adding a right click script might seem like a good idea, its really pretty much a waste of time. It might prevent those who aren't too computer savvy but people who are after the images are probably more savvy than you think. Kinetic captured a good array of ways around it. There is also the program fullshot which would easily be able to grab the image.

Lets face it, its not really worth the hassle of trying to prevent people.. A watermark option is a good one, but this might detract from your site. That all depends what the site is for. If you are selling photography or graphics of somesort then it might work. If not then it would be more of a turn off than a turn on..

Rich

Guest tbladecki

Well I have decided to go without.

I dont really care for the watermarks or the disable feature after all, I will just post and if somone wants it bad enoght then I guess they will get them anyways.

Thanks for the help