Thumbnails for Categories

Guest Denver Dave

Guest Denver Dave

Were setting up several layers of categories. On current level, we display a full size category image with descriptive text (used category text mod) and for the group of subcategories being displayed I would like to show a smaller thumbnail picture for each of them and only show the larger picture for the category when we select it.

A similar approach works well for products and wondered if anyone had a thumbnails approach for categories. Seems like a "natural" way to do it giving a much more interesting appearance than the same old folder image listed for every category. Large images really make the category group awkward.

I did find this mod that makes categories list like products - not sure if it creates thumbnails or not:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=10467

• 4 months later...

Were setting up several layers of categories. On current level, we display a full size category image with descriptive text (used category text mod) and for the group of subcategories being displayed I would like to show a smaller thumbnail picture for each of them and only show the larger picture for the category when we select it.

A similar approach works well for products and wondered if anyone had a thumbnails approach for categories. Seems like a "natural" way to do it giving a much more interesting appearance than the same old folder image listed for every category. Large images really make the category group awkward.

I did find this mod that makes categories list like products - not sure if it creates thumbnails or not:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=10467

Denver Dave,

did you discover anything more about this?

I tried following that link but only got back to the main forum.

I'm trying to find a way to have thumbnails as categories in left column and this sounds like it's worth checking into.

Thanks.

valmg

my favorable method is as i have set it up a few times now, use the ability to add images to the catagories by adding the thumbnails images these then become the folder images and you can get pages like http://www.ernestgbrooks.co.uk/cat_6.html in any layout you want but you get the idea...

Then to add the Large image to the top of your catagory simply add the image into the description box as you would a normal image i used it on a site back when the cat description mod first came out and i loved it...

aikdo,

thanks for the reply.

Doesn't that only put them in the center? Or did I misunderstand?

I'm trying to get them into a left box, not just the main page.

I tried your mod but that didn't allow me to make them fixed on the left.

The lady wants something along these lines - http://www.christabellescloset.com/

Thanks.

valmg

my mod can be altered for just that porpous if that is what you want it to desplay like but in the same sence i am confused as i thought the original post by denver dave was what i replied to and from what i gathered he simply wanted to show the Sub-catagory images as thumbnails which when clicked on would have all the products bellow and at the top a larger image with a description...

@ Denver Dave, if I understand correctly, you want a larger image for the present category location, smaller images for subcats?

I felt the same way when I was working on my glasswares design. If you look at this category, it's set up that way. This is "in the rough" as the images are "shaped" differently, so images that are narrow with alot of height appear larger than images that are wide . . . but if you scroll down and try clicking on several of these subacats, you'll get the idea.

The subcat images are resized by your browser. I have given subcat images a static, reduced width in the image call in content/index.tpl, whereas the actual main cat image is full-size.

http://avftexas.com/bellissimo/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=8

Guest Denver Dave

Let's see ... I'm supposed to remember what the heck I did. Looks like I have not re-applied my changes since the 3.0.7 p1 update. There are several issues, which seems like most people would want:

(1) Category text - text to describe the main category for the screen next to the big category image.

(2) Thumbnails for the several subcategories listed in the screen.

Looks like my code is still there in the skin, but must not be populating the variables since the update. Will post more when I figure it out. Guess I should keep better notes on the changes made.

(1) Category Description - Not a stock switch with CubeCart, this was a third-party mod you added. You might be able to get it at .org now - but if I were you, I would have saved it to the ol' hard drive somewhere. Have you looked for it there in your backyard? ;)

(2) Thumbnails for subCats - If you were using thumbnails for subCats you probably specified in includes/content/categories.inc.php to use the uploads/thumbs/thumb_." for showing images instead of uploads/."

aikdo,

thanks for the reply.

Doesn't that only put them in the center? Or did I misunderstand?

I'm trying to get them into a left box, not just the main page.

I tried your mod but that didn't allow me to make them fixed on the left.

The lady wants something along these lines - http://www.christabellescloset.com/

Thanks.

valmg

hi aikdo.

I am sorry, I think I may have misunderstood (I thought your mod only worked in the center) so let me be direct. What do I need to do to get your mod to work on the existing left category box.

I had posted to denverdave because in his original post he had been referring to a mod that I thought sounded like it would work for what I need.

Thanks again and I am sorry for the trouble.

valmg

my mod can be altered for just that porpous if that is what you want it to desplay like but in the same sence i am confused as i thought the original post by denver dave was what i replied to and from what i gathered he simply wanted to show the Sub-catagory images as thumbnails which when clicked on would have all the products bellow and at the top a larger image with a description...

I downloaded your mod - could you point me in the right direction as to how it is installed?