target attribute depreciated

The standard Cubecart copyright that's tacked on to every page of an unlicensed installation has a target="_blank" attribute, which is depreciated for XHTML strict 1.0

Is there any way to remove the target attribute?

I don't mind giving cubecart credit, but I don't want invalid code;

<div class='txtCopyright'>Powered by <a href='http://www.cubecart.com' class='txtCopyright' target='_blank'>CubeCart</a> 3.0.2<br />Copyright <a href='http://www.devellion.com' class='txtCopyright' target='_blank'>Devellion Limited</a> 2005. All rights reserved.</div>

The proper word is deprecated; depreciated is a decline in real or assumed value - most usually used in calculating taxes. Where are you finding this? It's the first I've heard of not allowing the target= tag in an anchor.

ya know Id rather have "bad" code than do without target attributes

this is how we link to external sites so people dont leave our site

whose bright idea was it to make target attribs deprecate?

friggin idjits at w3c

standards has alot to learn about real world things on the web....

I for one am keeping target="_blank"

Thanks for the grammar lesson. :-)

I'm of the opinion that html shouldn't be allowed to mess with the UI. If someone wants to open a link in a new window or tab, they can do that on their own easy enough. Links that open new windows infuriate me personally, on par with my reaction when a site resizes my browser window.

Regardless, it's a personal preference and I'm just looking for a solution. Thanks.

Guest hartmurmur

ya know Id rather have "bad" code than do without target attributes

this is how we link to external sites so people dont leave our site

whose bright idea was it to make target attribs deprecate?

friggin idjits at w3c

standards has alot to learn about real world things on the web....

I for one am keeping target="_blank"

Keep it. No big deal. You are using HTML Transitional on your site anyway (invalid doctype too).

But to call people at the w3c "idjits" (whether you are kidding or not) is unecessary. Pick up a book or two about how not having standards got the web into code mess it is (although improving quite a bit over the last 4 years.)

It's these "standards" people that caused the movement that brought us Firefox, Safari, Camino, Netscape 7 (the same browser you tout on your own site nonetheless).

And please do a little research before you start spreading FUD - a quick search on XHTML strict and the target attribute shows that there are solutions.