Category with no saleable product.

Hello all,

I am trying to setup a Florist Shop, I have Categories like Weddings where I want to show a nice picture with a description and instructions to contact the Florist for a personnel quote. no actual selling.

Other Categories would actually sell stuff from the shop.

What's the best way of constructing the Wedding category, I have tried it with a product but do not require the buy buttons etc:

Can it be done without a Product by editing a template or something.

Thanks

Frank

Hi Frank,

I do not know that this is necessarily the best way to do it, but it is a suggestion of a way that I would find easy to do . . .

1. Instead of adding a category, add a site document, "Weddings."

2. Add photos, text, etc. and your instructions.

3. Place a link to the Weddings page up in the category box as though it were another category. You would write the link in HTML on the categories.tpl which you will find in your_skin/styleTemplates/boxes/categories.tpl

Adding links there is covered in the forum in many places . . . folk like to place their home site URL there - a search may help you in placing links there if you need the help.

Hi Mark,

Using a site doc works fine except it then appears in the footer menu for the site docs.

Any idea how to stop this happening?

Thanks for the info.

Frank

Guest estelle

You could create a new site document as suggested. Then if you wanted to modify your shop so that the link appears where the categories are listed, you could modoify includes/boxes/categories.inc.php and/or styleTemplates/boxes/categories.tpl. Add a (hardcoded) link to "index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=X" where X is the document id. Note that this really is a hack! :)

But keep in mind that the link would then be displayed in two places - within the main category list, and also within the footer.

Guest highertechpc

Hello reyn:

If you want to put it in your site docs and don't want it to show in your footer in the "site docs" area, don't give it a name. You can always still edit it in the admin, but if you have several site docs with no names, it can become difficult to find. You will have to hit the edit button to 'view' it so you know you are editing the right one.

Guest theorbo

You can actually edit the site docs in the database - IF you are clever with phpMyAdmin. It's not necessarily a task for the faint-hearted....

Ok, here's a simple way to do it with site docs. Well...it's simple to me.

Create all your new site docs with IDs greater than say 100. Hard link these site docs in your side navigation to say what you want.

Then in /includes/boxes/siteDocs.inc.php, find this line:

$results = $db->select("SELECT doc_id, doc_name FROM ".$glob['dbprefix']."CubeCart_docs ORDER BY doc_name ASC");

Modify it to read like this:

$results = $db->select("SELECT doc_id, doc_name FROM ".$glob['dbprefix']."CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id < 100 ORDER BY doc_name ASC");

That will only allow documents with lower numbered document ID's to be displayed in the box at the bottom of pages.

The system won't let you manually assign doc_id numbers to your docs, so you'd have to add the new docs then go into PHPMyAdmin and change them manually, but this should be pretty easy to do.