100% or fixed width?

Guest Ija

Which one do you use?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello guys :rolleyes:

My kick-ass basic skin hasnt been selling well and I'm thinkin it's because of it's fixed width.

So store owners out there lighten me up a bit in this issue. Do you prefer your store to have fixed width or 100% width?

Thank you :D

Guest vrakas

As a designer,

I prefer fixed width. You can control the look of the site much better. 100% just falls apart at higher resolutions.

I agree but ...... i do like Full screen. ;)

I just custom them a bit and work fine in full width ;)

I like fixed width because it is easier to code and control, especially when solving cross-browser display issues . . .

Full screen pages can be cool, but they're definitely difficult to design in a way that always looks good regardless of screen resolution and browser variety ;)

I assume that we're all designers here and yes, 100% can be such a pain in the butt.

But what does your clients think? I personally like it @ 100% ;)

But what does your clients think?

Clients, customers . . .

The folk browsing the web want a page to look good in their own browser, and give no thought to what it will look like in any other browsers ;)

They don't want to have to scroll horizontally, for sure . . .

They very best "full screen" designs, with good cross-browser compatibility, and features that look well from the small to the largest resolutions - and pages that load quickly - will be the most popular IMO.

Still difficult to design something like that.

Guest vrakas

@markscarts

With the fixed width you design well anything looks great. ;)

My favourite is the Deep Blue Urban with the static background and see through icons etc. ;)

I see you fixed the problem with legend full screen and the left column been a bit smaller than the right one, great B)

The problem is with the clients that they like a full screen because ...... someone else (competitor) has his in full width ;)

I think they like it in full width because majority of people use screensize bigger than 800x600 anyway.

The most common screensize is 1024x760 I guess.

I guess I'm a bit of an oddball. I run 1280x1024 or larger usually, but don't run my browsers maximized. I normally run them at a 1024x768 (roughly) resolution. So many pages look funny when you maximize at 1280.

But I don't like fixed width because it seems like such a waste of on-screen real estate. The most annoying to me is sites that are formatted for 800x600 but the actual content I want to read is left with a strip down the center or one side of only about 400px. That's just absurd.

Look at the top 500 sites on Alexa.com

I bet 90% or more use fixed width as people use screen resolutions from 640x480 - 1280x1024 and beyond.

No site looks good on all browsers 100% no matter how its designed when text and images are integrated. A paragraph that may be 5 lines at 800x600 can become 2 or 3 at higher resolutions and it can look pathetic. You think your 5 paragraphs fills the page nicely and someone browses in on a high resolution and they end up reading long lines which is uncomfortable on the eyes.

Plus loads of people using CubeCart will be running 800x600 or slightly higher as they are rarely designers - so the 100% suits as they have not experienced the design at higher resolutions.

Guest sunshine

I like fixed because I like a bit of the control even when it's not my own browser. :D

On the templates, everyone wants a 'step a side' website. Some consider the ramifications, some don't. But the bottom line is people want a template that doesn't look like a template. You've got to offer some with side bars dropped, full screen, white, black, red, etc. drop down menus, flyout menus, flash enters, talking people. The pizazz on icons & gifs such s little present boxes, free shipping, live help clicks. Simply put, you have to step back from what you know of websites and was is better cuz many people still don't. If you're trying to 'sell'. That's what sells.

Then again, if you incorporate tutorials or articles with explanation of benefits. General overview of web news per se. Those things right there will upsell your main products. :w00t:

Guest sunshine

Ija,

You did a great job on your template and I see you also offer custom banners. I think the problem is, is that CC'ers don't know whre to find these shops. Give it some time :w00t:

Guest megagente

To be truth I prefer 100% and it must fit a 14" monitor since too many people in 3rdworld countries still using small monitors. Remember you must reach everywhere.

I think the thing to do is to know your audience (or your client's audience) and design for that group. If you have a site that is geared toward tech savy people, then maybe a fixed width at 1024x768 is appropriate. If you're trying to reach a general, worldwide audience, then maybe design for 800x600. It's not an exact science, we just have to use our best judgement.