Removing Unwanted Skins

Guest chaleepas

Guest chaleepas

This is going to be an internal corporate outlet store, at this time I only want one skin to be available as the default. Administration is going to be handed over to someone and we don't want them changing the look of the store.

Are the skins moduled like the shipping/gateway modules? I don't want to just remove the folders/files and break the store.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

No, they are NOT. If you want to hide skin selection to admins, open admin/settings/index.php search for

<tr>

<td width="30%" class="tdText"><strong><?php echo $lang['admin']['settings']['store_skin'];?></strong></td>

<td align="left">

<?php

$path = $GLOBALS['rootDir']."/skins";

if ($dir = opendir($path)) {

?>

<select class="textbox" name="config[skinDir]">

<?php

while (false !== ($file = readdir($dir))) {

if(!eregi($file,array(".",".."))){

?>

<option value="<?php echo $file; ?>" <?php if($file==$config['skinDir']) { echo "selected='selected'"; } ?>><?php echo $file; ?></option>

<?php 

}

} 

?>

</select>

<?php } ?>  </td>

</tr>
 and add <!-- in front of this code and --> in the end this code...like this 
<!--	<tr>

<td width="30%" class="tdText"><strong><?php echo $lang['admin']['settings']['store_skin'];?></strong></td>

<td align="left">

<?php

$path = $GLOBALS['rootDir']."/skins";

if ($dir = opendir($path)) {

?>

<select class="textbox" name="config[skinDir]">

<?php

while (false !== ($file = readdir($dir))) {

if(!eregi($file,array(".",".."))){

?>

<option value="<?php echo $file; ?>" <?php if($file==$config['skinDir']) { echo "selected='selected'"; } ?>><?php echo $file; ?></option>

<?php 

}

} 

?>

</select>

<?php } ?>  </td>

</tr>-->

Guest EverythingWeb

The script which you use to select your skins just calls all folders in the /skins/ folder.

What we do for clients, is once their custom skin is done, called something specific to their site, we delete the other skin folders.

Quick 'n' dirty in SSH: rm -Rf /home/USER/site.com/skins/Classic/

Beware though, running rm and -f will force the delete, so BACKUP and be careful.

It works though - then if in a years time the store upgraded their skin, you could have skin04 and skin05 type 'thing' going on.

Hope this helps - it save disabling the option completely to choose skins, and also when new versions are released you won't have to apply the above mod.

Cheers.

chaleepas - removing skin folders will not break the store in any way.

Any folder within the folder /skins/ will show in the ACP drop-down, as both guys above have pointed out. Any folder you remove from /skins/ will be no longer available, and no choice for it will appear.

No files within a particular skin folder are needed for CubeCart to function, except the ones in the chosen (active) skin.

Feel free and confident to remove all skins save the one you have activated. You can save them elsewhere if you like . . . removing them from /skins/ folder makes them unavailable for the store :)

Guest chaleepas

I had tried commenting the lines of code out and that worked, but I like the modular style much better, in which I just remove the skin folders I don't want. That worked great! Thank you so much!

Now if I could just get the email to forward out of HostM's localhost to our regular domain I will be in business.... Not a topic for discussion here though... :)

I have been deleting the "extra" skins from the folder and never had any problems, they just dont appear in the admin drop down menu :D

On the other hand if i install a new skin i leave the others there so a client can compare :)

If i am wrong in doing so please correct me B)

Guest ssppaarree

I have been deleting the "extra" skins from the folder and never had any problems, they just dont appear in the admin drop down menu  ;)

That's how I thought it would be done. Same with the languages.

If you are going to change a skin, it is definately a good idea to make a copy of one you want to start with (i.e name the directory something different!)

That way, when you upgrade to a new version, your skin changes will not get overwritten.

Then you can diff the old and new versions of the skin dir you based your on (use a tool like windiff) and if there were changes, you can make the same changes to yours (manually) if needed.

Ideally though, if you are serious about development, get a copy of CVS for (version control) and start using it for any changes. If you spend the time to learn it, you will be amazed at how much time it can save :w00t: