I need some help with this

Guest woodbtreasures

Guest woodbtreasures

Ok I have a Template which I'm adapting to cubecart.

Everything looks freaking wonderful in FF, but as soon as you look at the page in IE it all goes to hell.

The main body of the page is dropping down after I add the xhtml to the right side column. Everything that I have tried has done nothing and the only thing that I can do to get it to work is to add page breaks to the code after the {PAGE_CONTENT} which is absolutely crappy at best.

I'm sure the solution is probably to add a valign to the code somewhere, but I just am going cross-eyed from staring at this page and my head hurts from banging it against the keyboard. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

As I said the page looks perfect in FF so this is an IE problem.

:):D:)

http://test-cart.webdesignbyjeremy.com

There are indeed float margin bugs in IE, but this is probably a different sort of IE whitespace bug that convict pointed out to me recently, caused by whitespace in HTML document between the end of a line of code for a cell containing images, and the closing tag for that cell.

IOW, you have to put the </td> at the end of the line of code, rather than on the next line (carriage return in this case will render a whitespace in IE where it shouldn't). changing this should solve your problem.

You also have two very small spots where Mozilla also has a rendering problem, or your graphics aren't consistent. Can you spot them?

Ok I have a Template which I'm adapting to cubecart.

As I said the page looks perfect in FF so this is an IE problem.

Yes, it's a promising design you've started. Nice colors. Clean graphics.

But it's not completely perfect. It may look great in high res but at 800 by 600 it requires a left to right scroll, even in FF, and that's acceptable only if you intend to discourage orders from the huge numbers of people who have their monitors set at that. However, if you constrain the width of your store to something under 800px wide, customers at all resolutions can comfortably use the store.

Also, because you are looking at the screen in hi-res, you are not seeing that box headings such as "Shopping Basket" are humongous in 800 by 600. Taking the font size for those headers down a notch or two would restore some harmony.

I agree always start with ie as this is the most popular browser and then tweak to the others anf remember as much as we hate it there are alot of peeps still on 800x600 who just wont scroll left to right no matter how nice your store looks.

You're welcome, Joe. I posted that in response to my lovely friend Sunshine's reference to "position: relative" - IE has more problems with the float property than I can keep up with. But as stated above, that is not Jeremy's problem, as he is dealing with tables. I couldn't find a good page to share on the bug that's causing his problem - closing cell tag needs to have no white space of carriage return before it - it needs to be glued t the end of the line of code where images are involved. ;)

Guest theorbo

Contrariwise....

I'm a web designer and manager, for many years. You really should design in a standards-compliant browser FIRST. This is NOT IE. Design in Firefox, and THEN tweak for IE.

Sure IE has a lot of market share still - but in the long run it's far far easier to work to standards and then do the minor tweaks needed for displaying appropriately in IE.

Guest woodbtreasures

Hey eveyone thanks for your reply's.

I've given up on getting this one to work to sell. I'll just use it one my skin site and "tweak it" to make it to work in IE as I can't seem to figure anything else out.

Due to this though I'll be unable to sell the template as had been my original intention...it would be unacceptable to me to sell it with the methods required to make it work.

@ theorbo i agree absolutely, first standard compliance browser like FF then tweaking for IE. Every super designed page based on standards looks deadly in IE and vice-versa. Web designer making IE compliant pages only is lazy web designer. What about times when MS IE works as standard compliant browser? ROFL

Making non standard code and then tweaking to standard? Yes, IE positive guys are doing so.

Template selling with options 'For FF or Mozilla only' is not a good strategy cause 80-90% of visitors are IE positive but thats now, in those times. I remember times about 95-99%. FF is a great browser. One small extension and by one click IE engine rendering within. Perfect solution for web designers or cross browser coders.

That last coment i guess your talking about the IE tab for FF its amazing im a lasy designer myself and to have IE and FF open seporately never worked for me IE tab works a treat...

Note, Sorry i couldn't get that darn site to work for you Woodbtresure, ill have to try again tonight :errm: ...

im not willing to give up yet...

Guest sunshine

Really? I found it 'easier' to do IE first. Anyway, I've installed Firefox a few times begining 2!?!? years back and I ended up with computer problems each time. Maybe that's the reason. FF does have nice features though, just not worth the risk of another crash.