USPS solution/workaround found

Guest Mike F (Nightfall Fashions)

Guest Mike F (Nightfall Fashions)

A disclaimer. I'm a hack of a programmer, and you're messing with very specific code. This works, and it works well, but I can't say it'll work in five minutes. May the user beware.

As has been mentioned in statements regarding flate-rate shipping oddities or "it charges me too much/little" the USPS only sends you back flat rate information. This is an error in CubeCart, not the Postal Service. Allow me to explain (and if the authors wish to e-mail me, I'll explain in greater detail and provide my modified code).

The way the module is currently set up is that you do priority mail and tell is what package style. Fair enough. There is no "no package" style, and the system errors if you attempt it. This is incorrect. The <container> tag for the XML is actually optional. Thus, by modifying the code to not send a <container> tag, then you can recieve a weight-based shipping estimate. However, this also requires you disable the check to make sure you did put those in.

Downside: You cannot do flat-rate with this setup. I found it an acceptable loss. Perhaps with this information the next incarnation of the module (which otherwise has fixed the problems of the previous module and made my life so much easier) can be programmed to allow all these options to be displayed.

The container style is in calc.php and the check in class.usps.php. I'm afraid I'm uncomfortable telling people what to do exactly for fear of being liable for problems with a business.

-Michael

Guest global777

Thank you for your information.

What people can do is just make a backup and try your code. If it doesn't work, they can easily re-install to the way it was. No problems! And no worries.

It's worth a shot!

Thansk again...

J.D.

Since I don't ship anything (my store is all digital) I can't use this mod directly outside of testing on a client's site. My goal was to get the existing mod working as it should while allowing users to easily pass the USPS mandatory tests. I succeeded in that.

But I can certainly see your point and will dig in a bit deeper and figure out the best way to acommodate a more real-world solution that can please everybody. :D

;)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I am in need of something like this myself.... my store has not fully opened yet because of these types of things I need to get fixed up. Can you please PM me or let me know more specifically how you've managed this??

I've got like 2 or 3 backups already of everything I've done, I just need to know what to do to get it setup for priority mail weight rather than flat-rate. Thanks!!