Help with Legend skin css's

Guest xpc

I everyone!

I made some modifications to the "Legend" skin, but now i'm having some problems.

1º - How to lower the position of the search box

2º - How to define images to "go" search button, "Login" and "Register"

3º - How to lower the position of "sitedocs

4º - How to individually center the contents of the boxes (ex: my "Specials" box content isn't centered because the value of panning-left in layout.css. I set the value to 20, bu if i set the value to 0 or 1, the contents of all boxes stays outside.

My Cart

Sorry about my english.. :)

Thanks in advance

I can answer your questions yet but would like to warn you that as nice as your site looks in 1024x768 res in 800x600 it doesnt fit and the majority of PC users still use 800x600 though more are now moving to higher res TFT screens

in order to make my template 800X600 compilant, i've to shrink the size of the boxes e then shrink the header. that will be my next step. :).

I've also noticed some difrences in ie browsing. I'll try to fix it tonight. Then i'll post the result.

Did some slight changes to my template. Now it is 800X600 compatible. Corrected some of my problems and earned new ones (a big few). <_<

Take a look at my site to see all the problems.

http://www.xpcloja.com/cart/index.php

1- The dhtml menu (by Alon Kobets in download section) doesnt show the rest of my top categories, only shows one.

2 - The dhtml menu stays behind the middle column (only in IE)

3 - Cant verticaly center the title of boxes

4 - Cant center the contents of the boxes

5 - Cant lower the space between the middle section and the side sections, in order to gain space for the right side column of boxes.

6 - Want to lower the text (sitedocs) in the footer bar (verticaly center the text in the bar)

7 - Cant put the search box in the top right corner of the header.

Please help me guys, i realise that there are so many aspects, but i realy need to get my store online and i'm running out of time.

Sincerely

Filipe Ferreira

(once again, sorry about the english. I'm from Portugal)

It would seem 90% of your problems is down to the padding values of your css sheets pm if you would like me to sort this out for you.

If you need a large centre box to display ur images properly why not go with a 2 column site? and move the boxes on right to the left?

First of alll, your English is fine. Your participation here is welcome.

Secondly, I am envious of your design - I think it one of the best I've seen. I hope that after you resolve your current issues you will do a few mini-tutorials on how you create those delicious round corner boxes and compatibale frames around your product photos.

My one negative comment is that the page header is way too huge, an issue that is made even more striking when viewed in 800 by 600. Keep in mind that the header sits atop EVERY page. By putting such a huge header on every page you are, in effect, shouting at your visitors, telling them something they already know - that they are at your store. Keep in mind that this is not mission critical information. The mission is to sell your products, not shout your name on every page.

In that case, assuming you agree on that goal, you will want to put the store's inventory before your customer, not a highway billboard that is designed to be seen at 200 kilometers per hour. My suggestion is that a header that is between 100 to 125 px high is more than adequate - and will do a better job of selling things.

Finally, I agree with the suggestions that you should consider a two-column approach with the boxes on the left. During that review process, think carefully about the value of each box.

For example - how much does it help a customer to know that you have X products in Y categories? It may be "cool" information and satisfying to you, but think carefully about that from the perspective of a customer. And if it doesn't promote sales, remove it.

Another example - If you are not intending to create a language file for alternative languages - complete with product details in those languages, of what value is it for you to have the Language box and its options? It only changes box headers and similar text. Is that enough to justify the space this box occupies and the distraction it causes a customer who is seeking to actually buy soemthing?

So, as you see, you may be able to remove some boxes without negative effect on sales - and that would allow a cleaner interface - plus give you a much larger central box in which to promote sales.

Hope this helps - and keep us in mind regarding those excellent graphics when you have some time.

You are absoloutly right about the side of the header. My problem is that when i make the grafics, i have my monitor with high resoloution, and totaly forget that a normal size item at 1280X1024 becomes huge at 800x600. I'll keep that in my mind. About the nº of columns to use, evilhomer also sugested me to use 2. So I'l try to use 3, if it gets crappy, then i'll move all the boxes to the right column.

As this template is for my store, i want to get it exclusive, but when i finish it, ill post some photoshop tutorials, an more, i'll try to make a new one in the same style for public publishing.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me so far.

Please allow me to offer one more piece of unrequested advice. You mentioned that you may put the column of boxes on the right.

I sometimes see web sites with the primary menus on the right - and it is always an attempt to be unique and creative. But that is almost always a mistake.

In the western world, we read from left to right. Therefore our highly developed expectation is that basic navigational menus are in the same place on every page - at the left.

Putting them to the right is dis-orienting. While one of the purposes of Art (note the capital "A") is to change our perception of things, often by disorienting the viewer and forcing a new gestalt that invokes an "ah HA!" moment of fresh insight, you are building a commercial site where the purpose is to sell things. To disorient the prospective customer is not productive.

The purpose of graphic art (lower case) on commercial web sites is to make it easier to find information and navigate the web site. Placing the boxes on the left will accomplish that purpose better than putting them on the right. So, I respectfuly suggest you reconsider that intention.

I totally agree that you should keep the skin itself as your own unique design. But, when you are4 finished with your site, if you would share how to make those boxes it would be appreciated.

Please allow me to offer one more piece of unrequested advice. You mentioned that you may put the column of boxes on the right.

I wanted to say "Left".

About the boxes.... Later when i'm finish with the site, i'll make some tuts, with photpshop thats no big deal.

Chears

Just to say thanks to evilhomer, thanks to him my store looks perfect now.

Now i'll make some changes to the size of the header, as in the advice of jerseyjoe.

WTF? :)

I went there ready to admire the site and sing praises to you guys, but the "APENAS" boxes are way screwed up in Moxilla, and layout is really broken badly in IE6.

I can only assume this is temporary and you're uploading even more changes?

:confused:

Great coincidence.... You must have visited the site in the "precise" moment that i was playing with the homepage code...

May want to check now to see if it's everything ok!

It's almost finished, if it wasn't the damn IE make the center content to overcome the Dhtml menu.

Every day i love more the Firefox and hate more the IE. :D

Yes, I see. Looks and works fantastic in the Mozilla browsers. I know what you mean about IE. I quit working and started drinking today after a couple of frustrating hours with cross-browser compatibility issues finally did me in. :D

The DHTML menu as well as the boken border on the Produtos Especial box are still crapped on by IE at your store - but it is looking better each time. Good work you guys. :)

Guest Mysiteonline

The skin looks great.

I'm looking forward to any tutorials you put together. I'm planning on having a go at creating my own skin soon. At the moment i'm gathering all the information i can find on creating my own.

I just need to get some free time!

Version 1.0 Final ready

See in action

http://www.xpcloja.com/cart/index.php

That is really first class work! Thanks for letting us comment on its development. It looks excellent in 800 by 600.

Can't wait for the tutorial on making those picture frames around the boxes and the box headers. I promise I won't copy your design but will make them as different as I can within the concept.