Where do i start?

Guest mattlowe01

Guest mattlowe01

okay right now i am making a tool web site for a family friend, and i came across cube cart from www.myhosting.com . Right now i have hade a basic template in HTML that i want to use, www.tomlowe.com/tools/index.htm Where would i start to turn that into a cube cart template?

Also, can i edit it with Microsoft Frontpage and CS2? Because its taking forever to get to ftp://x.tomlowe.com , it wont list the pages in it. I was going to try to take all those images and my index file and put it into the skins directory and see what would happen, but reading around, it looks like i need to make it out of something other than html. Any help would be appreciated, and if someone wants to make a quick template using that for me, youd be amazing :) Thanks!

Hello Matt, welcome to the forum.

Here's what I would do: open your index.htm alongside skins/{skin of choice}/styleTemplates/global/index.tpl in a good text editor. I would cut the javascript out of the head of your doc, and turn it into a file like lowessite.js and put it in the js directory of the store's root, then make a link to it in the head just below the other javascript link(s) that already appear in the head of index.tpl.

Then, I would replace the head section of index.htm with the head section from index.tpl

Next, I would determine which parts of CC I want appearing on the front page - You have a place for categories there already, so I'll use {CATEGORIES} there, likewise you have a place to put {SEARCH_FORM}, {SITE_DOCS} and {PAGE_CONTENT}. You should find a place to put {SESSION} too.

etc. etc.

Next, I would go to the box templates (like, boxes/categories.tpl) and the stylesheets (layout.css and style.css) and make the changes to cause it to appear as you want it to on the page.

Finally, you will rename this file to index.tpl and replace the present index.tpl with it.

It is really pretty simple, but not easy. Can be kind of time-consuming and many little adjustments will have to be made.

There are several folk on here who can do all this for you, though most of us do not have the time to do it for free.

HTH, and good luck with the skin.

Guest mattlowe01

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Okay i went to take the javascript out of the head of my index.htm file, and it gave me an error when i preived it. Error on line 10: Do you wish to debug?

I have a lot of expierencec with computers and web design, just not with JS and Template making

How and what would i make a lowessite.js? Im assuming you mean the JS that is in the head of the index.htm?

Thanks :) Sorry if im being a noob, id just like to learn how to do this.

Okay i fixexd the error message, and i copied the js scritpt into notepad. Now ill make a js file with that script, put it in the jsdirectory, and then link to it in the header of my index.htm file? how would i link to it

Okay, i took the header out of the template file and put it in the header of the index.htm file, when i previewed it i didnt see a change in anything. But for now, how do i get the different catagories to appear on the front page? Like, what script would i use to insert it? Like if i want the {CATAGORIES} to appear where i have the catagories now, what would i replace that HTML with? Thanks, after this, i should be good for now :D I just want to get the site layed out for the guy.

Guest tbladecki

Save yourself a lot of trouble get rid of FP and use Filezilla for FTP access and phpdesigner 2006 for the code.

I have done some testing and FP does nto appear to play well with CC (php) files.

Guest mattlowe01

yeah i see that now haha i figured out how to edit the files all i need to know now is how to get it to embed in an html site. Do you know how to do that?

Guest mattlowe01

Okay, i downloaded PHPEditor, and ill try editing it with that. All i need to know is how to get the different catagories embedded in the code?

In frontpage i did <scrip languaget="php"> </script> and put the

<div class="colRight">

{SHOPPING_CART}

{POPULAR_PRODUCTS}

{SALE_ITEMS}

{MAIL_LIST}

</div>

In between the tags, and i did all this in code view in frontpage in the table that i want the shopping cart and info to show up. But then i get an error on line 228 etc. Look at the following webpage, thats where i have my cubecart installed

http://x.tomlowe.com/cubecart/index.php

the working one is at

http://x.tomlowe.com/cubecart/index1.php but i changed the backround to black when i was messing around with it learning how to edit different catagories.

Guest tbladecki

parse errors are common for a missing tag either before or after. More then likly it was caused during a bad ftp transfer

as far as the cat ?? I am not sure what you are asking there??

My first post was necessarily brief.

Add the categories wherever you want by inserting {CATEGORIES} - as you well knw.

Then, change the appearance to match your scheme by editing the file styleTemplates/boxes/categories.tpl, along with the stylesheets containing the styles used for elements in categories.tpl

I would suggest making one change at a time, and ireoning it out, before making the next. Deal with cats first, then move on to another {...} until it displays as you want it to, then another, etc.