Changing Product Categories - Killer Skin

Guest John99041

Guest John99041

Hi, I have looked around for this for ages but cant find anything, i think i know what I’m doing, but something is wrong as I’m not getting anywhere so here i am asking for help again!

What I’m trying to do is add the categories box from the Legend skin but keep the top bar in place.

I have tried making a copy of the categories.tpl file from the Legend skin and adding it to the Killer skin by editing the index.tpl file and the index.php in the root directory but still don’t seem to have any effect.

I have added side boxes using this method before and didn’t have any problems, but I haven’t really worked on the design of my store for ages and can’t think where I’m going wrong!

If anyone could help i would be grateful :D

Guest John99041

Hi, thanks for the reply, its kinda what i want but its not all there! ;)

What i want to do is have the whole selection of categories on the side including the sub cats for the categorie that is being viewed as well as having the top bar.

The other way i would be happy doing it is by being able to have all of the categories on the left side, and being able to select a few (important) categories to go on the top bar but i cant find anything about doing it.

What you need is two categories.inc.php in the includes file, one named slightly different like categories2.inc.php.

Then you need to assign categories2.inc.php in the root index.php file, in the same way that categories.inc.php is assigned, for using {CATEGORIES2} in global/index.tpl

Now, create a new template in skin file boxes/categories2.tpl, and change the styles in this template to match the side boxes of the Killer skins.

Finally, change the XTemplate assignment in includes/categories2.inc.php from categories.tpl to categories2.tpl

What this will do: This will keep the top categories as they are in Killer skin, and allow you to use {CATEGORIES2} to place a side box with upperlevel categories. It will not show the subcats.

To show all subcats in your store in the side box, look in categories2.inc.php for a statement that says all categories must have a parent cat =0, if you change this to say a parent cat >0 it should show all subcategories in the store. This is a quick way to do it, but the cats will appear in the order in which they were added to db.

You can tweak which cats are shown by adjusting that statement in various ways.

Anyway, with all this info, you should have a good start on your mod. Always keep a good back up of the files you change in case you screw something up ;)

Additionally, there are quite a few free and paid mods on categories, and third party services that can help with this for free or for small fees, between cubecart.org and the site you visited.

Guest John99041

Hi, thanks for the reply, i think thats what im looking for !

Seem to be getting a copy of the top bar accross the left bar of the site now, i think its the way im editing the categories2.tpl files

<div class="boxTitleLeft">Products2</div>

<div class="boxContentCenter">

<div class="boxContentLeft txtCopy">

<li class="bullet"><a href="index.php" class="txtDefault">{LANG_HOME}</a></li>

<!-- BEGIN: li -->

<li class="bullet"><a href="index.php?act=viewCat&catId={DATA.cat_id}" class="txtDefault">{DATA.cat_name}</a></li>

<!-- END: li -->

<!-- BEGIN: sale -->

<li class="bullet"><a href="index.php?act=viewCat&catId=saleItems" class="txtDefault">{LANG_SALE_ITEMS}</a></li>

<!-- END: sale -->

</div>

<div class="boxFootLeft"> </div>

Any ideas?

Guest John99041

Remove this line:

<div class="boxContentCenter">

Thanks, just removed the code and its the same ;)

I have left it like it on the site so if you wanna have a look feel free Click Here

Thanks for helping me out, im ok with some if the basics but some of this is just beyond me! :)

Guest John99041

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

just got it working, thanks every one for the help, im gonna make it in to a MOD and see about uploading it in a few days, once i know it works all of the time.

i just have one question......... i seem to have lost the bottem of the new products box, it joins the box below.

i have enclosed a screen shot, any ideas??? its not important but would be nice to get everything working!:)

screen1.jpg

Thanks again guys! ;) :)

Guest John99041

Here is all of the code that i have used/edited to make the box

Categories2.tpl

<!-- BEGIN: categories2 -->

<div class="boxTitleLeft">{LANG_CATEGORY_TITLE}</div>

<div class="boxContentLeft">

<ul>

<li class="bullet"><a href="index.php" class="txtDefault">{LANG_HOME}</a></li>

<!-- BEGIN: li -->

<li class="bullet"><a href="index.php?act=viewCat&catId={DATA.cat_id}" class="txtDefault">{DATA.cat_name}</a></li>

<!-- END: li -->

<!-- BEGIN: sale -->

<li class="bullet"><a href="index.php?act=viewCat&catId=saleItems" class="txtDefault">{LANG_SALE_ITEMS}</a></li>

<!-- END: sale -->

</ul>

</div>

<!-- END: categories2 -->

I think thats what you need to see ;)

Thanks

Guest John99041

Thanks, put this:

<div class="boxFootLeft"> </div>

just above this:

<!-- END: categories2 -->

Thanks, everything is working again. its nice to know there is always somewhere we can go to when in need of some info :blink: