VAT for European countries

It is my understanding VAT has to be charged for all customers in the EU, how do I enable this to happen in CC?

The Apply Tax ONLY the following area: only allows a single country setting.

Guest degsey69

It is my understanding VAT has to be charged for all customers in the EU, how do I enable this to happen in CC?

You are correct you have to charge VAT, if VAT registered and selling to customers in member states of the EEC. The rate that you apply is the rate of your own country ireguardless of what rate is being charged in the country the goods are going too.

The exception to this is if the customer you are selling too is VAT registered in their country, however I doubt by this stage that they would be buying off you through the internet. You have to make sure that to exempt them from paying tax you have to proof that you have made reasonable enqires into their VAT registration and provide the UK customs & excise further proof that the goods were shipped abroad.

For some reason CubeCart is not user friendly if you want to show ex VAT and inc VAT, and there is only two options, inc tax or ex tax. You can specify what rate of tax to apply in the case of ex vat it will not show until check out. The invoice wil not show the VAT registration number.

I have got around that on my site with a mod by estelle that shows inc and ex VAT prices and show the VAT number at check out and on the packing slip/invoice. :on2long:

You are correct you have to charge VAT, if VAT registered and selling to customers in member states of the EEC. The rate that you apply is the rate of your own country ireguardless of what rate is being charged in the country the goods are going too.

The exception to this is if the customer you are selling too is VAT registered in their country, however I doubt by this stage that they would be buying off you through the internet. You have to make sure that to exempt them from paying tax you have to proof that you have made reasonable enqires into their VAT registration and provide the UK customs & excise further proof that the goods were shipped abroad.

For some reason CubeCart is not user friendly if you want to show ex VAT and inc VAT, and there is only two options, inc tax or ex tax. You can specify what rate of tax to apply in the case of ex vat it will not show until check out. The invoice wil not show the VAT registration number.

I have got around that on my site with a mod by estelle that shows inc and ex VAT prices and show the VAT number at check out and on the packing slip/invoice. :)

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still unsure about how to activate the VAT charge for all the EEC member states. Or is CC unable to do this? Any light on this matter would be appreciated.

Guest degsey69

:) This can all be done in the admin area of your website.

If you want to show prices including VAT, go to store config and click general settings in admin. Under Locale Settings set the Default currency ie British Pounds, if you want to include VAT in the prices click Include Tax in Price to yes. If you want to show prices ex vat click no and the total price inc vat will be calculated at check out.

Next go to Taxes under the store config and click on it, set the country as United Kingom, and update go to Tax class under it and type in " VAT" and "17.50" next to it and click edit tax which will set up the vat percentage for you.

Next set British Pound as the default currency under the currencies section making sure that the value is set as 1.00

Then you are set to go. As I mentioned previously the only thing CC can not do is show both inc and ex VAT prices together without a major mod.

Hope his helps :cry::cry::w00t: :sourcerer:

:angry: This can all be done in the admin area of your website.

If you want to show prices including VAT, go to store config and click general settings in admin. Under Locale Settings set the Default currency ie British Pounds, if you want to include VAT in the prices click Include Tax in Price to yes. If you want to show prices ex vat click no and the total price inc vat will be calculated at check out.

Next go to Taxes under the store config and click on it, set the country as United Kingom, and update go to Tax class under it and type in " VAT" and "17.50" next to it and click edit tax which will set up the vat percentage for you.

Next set British Pound as the default currency under the currencies section making sure that the value is set as 1.00

Then you are set to go. As I mentioned previously the only thing CC can not do is show both inc and ex VAT prices together without a major mod.

Hope his helps :):sourcerer::sourcerer::sourcerer:

Yes, I had everything set this way, but still VAT is only charged to customers in the UK, I want VAT to be charged to all EU member states. The only way round this is to manually add tax to all prices and charge VAT to customers worldwide. Are we then left with an TAX N/A at checkout?

• 2 months later...

;) This can all be done in the admin area of your website.

Hope his helps :P:sourcerer::sourcerer::sourcerer:

Yes, I had everything set this way, but still VAT is only charged to customers in the UK, I want VAT to be charged to all EU member states. The only way round this is to manually add tax to all prices and charge VAT to customers worldwide. Are we then left with an TAX N/A at checkout?

I'm having this exact problem now. My store is based in Belgium, and we've just had our first order from Holland. Upon receiving the order, we realized the store had not charged the customer sales tax. The store is only charging Belgian customers tax, and nobody else. This ( I'm assuming) is due to the fact that you can only charge one country tax, in the taxes panel of your admin board.

Am I to assume that the only way around this problem, is to now recalculate all the prices to include sales tax, and thus ignore Cubecarts ability to charge tax separately. Surely adding a simple "apply to all" option in the taxes field would solve this problem.

Am I missing something in Cube Carts options, or is this something which will be fixed in the next version?

• 2 months later...
Guest Arnold

So what happened to this discussion? The last post is in April - is there a solution?

What has anyone else done to solve this problem?

Guest musicstore

So what happened to this discussion? The last post is in April - is there a solution?

What has anyone else done to solve this problem?

I guess nothing.. the problem is still there.

Is there anyone who has a solution for this?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Dave Gard

Hi Oceanwd,

Did you follow up on the Estelle line of mods. :wub:

She (?) has a number of modifications which include this one: http://cubecart.expandingbrain.com/cubecar...d-/prod_52.html

This one would appear to answer your problems. :dizzy:

Do post a reply/email me [email protected]

All the best,

David :zorro: