How do you extend admin sessions?

Guest Brivtech

Guest Brivtech

How do you increase the timeout for admin sessions?

I want to be able to have an admin session that lasts longer, without having to log back in and re-authenticate myself if I've been idle at the computer for a while.

Is this done through cookies or some other way, and how can it be changed?

Guest Brivtech

Play with this line:

$data["time"] = time();

in admin/login.php

I think.

No, unfortunately, that isn't it...

I had a look at that in more detail - All that does is log the time that an admin session starts, so when you display Admin Sessions in the admin control panel, it shows the date and time that the session started.

What I'm after is control over how long the sessions last. Any other ideas?

Guest gwizard

Well, session lasts as long as the browser is open AND cookie not expired.

Look for the place where cookies created and extend the time.

Maybe includes/startSession.inc.php ?

Guest Brivtech

Well, session lasts as long as the browser is open AND cookie not expired.

Look for the place where cookies created and extend the time.

Maybe includes/startSession.inc.php ?

No, I can't see anything that can be changed there - I'm after where to change it for Admin sessions specifically.

If as you say sessions are alive as long as the browser is alive and cookies not expired, then I should be logged on for as long as my browser window is open. However, it isn't the case, as I have to re-authenticate myself (Log in again), after a yet to be specified period of time.

Any other ideas?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This would be very helpful if we could find out how to extend this admin session.

It is a real pain when you go to save your work and have to log back in :cry: .......and start again arh!!!!!!!!!!!!

There seems to be no pattern to the amount of time the session lasts? I find sometimes is lasts for ages and sometimes only a couple of mintues.

Any suggestions!

Regards

Gary

• 9 months later...

Hi,

This would be very helpful if we could find out how to extend this admin session.

It is a real pain when you go to save your work and have to log back in :) .......and start again arh!!!!!!!!!!!!

There seems to be no pattern to the amount of time the session lasts? I find sometimes is lasts for ages and sometimes only a couple of mintues.

Any suggestions!

Regards

Gary

Did anyone find a way to do this? I am very interested to know also.

Thanks in advance

Guest dpage44

Maybe it has to do with your hosting server. I have not experienced this issue in the 2 weeks I've been using CC. I do IT at a medical facility and I am currently developing a CC store for one of our departments.

Today when I got to work, I logged to my CC admin panel and started to add products. I would get a call and have to get up from my desk, come back and add more products, get another call and leave, come back and add more products, ate lunch, added more products, ran other programs... you get the idea. I was up in the same admin session all day. :D

Another thought. Check your browser Interent Settings to be sure your browser checks for newer versions of stored pages automatically. It may help to keep your sessions alive...maybe not, but worth a quick check.