Winmerge ?

Guest on_way_to_fame

Guest on_way_to_fame

Hi,

Many of the CC mods that I have recently downloaded, require a fresh install of CC. As I already have quite a few Mods, I am recommended to use Winmerge. As I havent used winmerge before, just wanted to have some feedback on how good it is?

Does it quickly the job, or is manual editing still required? Have people have any particular kinds of problems with it before?

Some feedback would be most appreciated

Ash

Guest walmarc

Hi,

Many of the CC mods that I have recently downloaded, require a fresh install of CC. As I already have quite a few Mods, I am recommended to use Winmerge. As I havent used winmerge before, just wanted to have some feedback on how good it is?

Does it quickly the job, or is manual editing still required? Have people have any particular kinds of problems with it before?

Some feedback would be most appreciated

Ash

Recently downloaded Winmerge on a recommendation in this forum. It seems very simple to use from my limited experience. Why not Backup, backup, try a merge, upload & if it doesn't work you can always revert to the former backup file.

Cheers :cry:

The best thing to do would be to just download it and try it out. It didn't seem to work well for me, but others seem to find it to be a great tool.

Only takes a few minutes to try it out.

Basically, what it does is open two files side by side, inserting blank spaces to make similar things line up together. That way, you can see what's different between the 2 files, and decide for yourself what needs to be 'merged' by copying from one file to the other.

When I tried it, it seemed to insert blank lines where it didn't need to and counted every one of them as a 'difference' between the files. Made it very hard to navigate through the files.

Guest PMinteractive

I've used it and haven't had any big problems, just gotta get used to the shortcut buttons at the top for copying/skipping changes. Agree with the people above, try it out, nothing can go wrong (go wrong, go wrong...)

A couple things to know . . .

Any file you change and save in winmerge, winmerge automatically creates a backup file (with .BAK extension) orf the original. It's a good fail-safe.

You can compare files, directories, etc. side-by-side, winmerge will highlieght the differences. With a single click you can transfer the difference in a section of code from one file to another. This beats the crap out of going through mod instructions and manually copying and pasting code to re-install mods.

Winmerge is one of the best tools recommended in these forums, if you install mods / upgrade stores.