Can't get past step four even after reading posts

Guest aj james

Guest aj james

Hi, everyone. I'm trying to install cc on yahoo's server. I can't get past step 4. i've changed the permission to match the required and it even shows me that i did but I can't go forward. I read serveral posts about changing the global.inc.php but I have no idea what that means. If I need to add any more info please let me know. This is my first post.

Hi, everyone. I'm trying to install cc on yahoo's server. I can't get past step 4. i've changed the permission to match the required and it even shows me that i did but I can't go forward. I read serveral posts about changing the global.inc.php but I have no idea what that means. If I need to add any more info please let me know. This is my first post.
If you have, as reported, read the posts, you may have seen one from me in the past 6 or 8 hours explaining that it is of no help to tell us that you "can't get past step four"

Do the wheels fall off? Does the Spanish Inquisition, unexpectedly, burn your monitor at the stake?

Or is there an error message of some kind that might tell us what happens at step four so we can then tell you what is holding you back?

Apologies for the sarcasim, but those of us who want to help you get frustrated when we are not told the details that allow us to diagnose the problem.

Please tell us what you are seeing so we can see it too.

Guest aj james

If you have, as reported, read the posts, you may have seen one from me in the past 6 or 8 hours explaining that it is of no help to tell us that you "can't get past step four"

Do the wheels fall off? Does the Spanish Inquisition, unexpectedly, burn your monitor at the stake?

Or is there an error message of some kind that might tell us what happens at step four so we can then tell you what is holding you back?

Apologies for the sarcasim, but those of us who want to help you get frustrated when we are not told the details that allow us to diagnose the problem.

Please tell us what you are seeing so we can see it too.

All it says is includes/global.inc.php 0644 0644 Please ensure the file permissioin are set correctly.

I'm using filezilla and i right clicked on global.inc.php in the includes folder and change the permission from 664 to 644 and and the boxes for read clicked try again and it shows that the current and required permissions are 0644. I don't have any other error messages to tell you about.

The CC installler does not explain as clearly as is needed that, at the step where you are stuck, the system wants you to change the permission of that file (mean CHMOD it) to 777.

Don't worry about the leading zero. I don't know why CHMOD instructions seem always (not just in CC) to refer to 4-digit CHMOD settings that include a leading zero when the reality is that only 3-digits seem to be do-able.

Anyway, CHMOD that file to 777. That should let you past that step.

When you try to edit the CC Homepage you may encounter a similar message that you need to CHMOD a file yet again.

Further problems, just ask. There's almost always someone online somewhere in the CC World.

Guest aj james

I right clicked on global.inc.php and changed it to 777 but when i clicked try again it turned red. The required permission is 644. I went back and changed it to 644 it turned green and clicked try again but it won't go to step 5

I right clicked on global.inc.php and changed it to 777 but when i clicked try again it turned red. The required permission is 644. I went back and changed it to 644 it turned green and clicked try again but it won't go to step 5
Hmmm - that's strange. It's 3am here (NY) and I've been awake briefly for the usual middle-of-the night reason. I've got to back to bed right now so I'll be off line for a few hours. But if no one else has helped you by the time I get up again in 4 hours, I'll ask you to PM me your URL and your server codes so I can go and try to help you.

BTW, have you tried using either a different FTP program or a different browser? Sometimes that can effect a little magic.

Meanwhile, maybe someone else can step up with a fix?

Good luck

You may find that you can skip this step by manually changing the adress bar url step number. If you have seen no install errors then it may be fine.

Once you have reached step 4 all should be installed.

Try deleteing the install folder and see if your store is up. Step 5 is merely a "conratulation" screen.