Category folders are lining up

Guest chrisjchrisj

Guest chrisjchrisj

I've made a Top Level Category and then sub categories.

After I added 7 sub categories, when I view them I see the seven folder icons with the subcategory names under each folder icon. But they aren't lining up symetrically.

When i view them thay look like this:

FOLDER FOLDER FOLDER

blank blank FOLDER

FOLDER FOLDER FOLDER

Obvously, I'd like, when viewed, the subcategories look like this:

FOLDER FOLDER FOLDER

FOLDER FOLDER FOLDER

FOLDER FOLDER FOLDER

Can you tell me a reason why the fourth folder I created doesn't line up in the first spot on the second row? But appears all the way to the right of the second row?

Thanks

Yes, it is because some of the subcategory elements are longer than others, and interferes with the left floating elements . . .

I hope it doesn't sound confusing :blink: point is, some of your images are longer dimension than others, or some of your subcat names take up more lines than others = taller elements = interferes with float property.

The way to fix this is to add a height to the containing division.

I am sending a link to a tutorial that gives the cure, and also for latest products where the same problem occurs. Watch for PM

Guest chrisjchrisj

Yes, it is because some of the subcategory elements are longer than others, and interferes with the left floating elements . . .

I hope it doesn't sound confusing :blink: point is, some of your images are longer dimension than others, or some of your subcat names take up more lines than others = taller elements = interferes with float property.

The way to fix this is to add a height to the containing division.

I am sending a link to a tutorial that gives the cure, and also for latest products where the same problem occurs. Watch for PM

Thanks alot for the help. Greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Captain Bags

Hmmm, I wonder if my problem is due to the same cause.

I'm just beginning to set up two subcats for each of my existing main cats. I've done the first one (also just installed Convict's expanding subcats mod, but this symptom appeared before I installed it)

When I click on the main Cat, the two subcat images are overlaid on one row in the centre panel (Legend skin). These are wide images, each is almost the full width of the centre panel.

Ideally I want them to appear one beneath the other.

In admin General Settings, I changed No Categories Per Row: from 2 to 1

Is this what that parameter is designed for?

Anyway, I'm still getting both subcats on one row. Ideally, I would like nothing to happen in the centre panel if a user clicks on a main cat that has subcats but that's a nice-to-have.

Thanks.

They are overlapping, sitting on one row, probably because a static width setting of 110px for the containing element remains in the stylesheet.

Check in the skin's stylesheet, layout.css for this code:

.subCat {	

text-align: center;

padding: 8px;

float: left;

width: 110px;

}

Change 110px to reflect the actual width of the images or greater, this will prevent overlap in Mozilla browsers.

As to removing everything in the center with the mod you are using, go back and read all instructions with the mod, there is the option to do that :wacko:

Guest Captain Bags

Thanks, Mark.

The old braineo did not make the blindingly obvious connection between what was written in the install notes and what I saw happening on my screen.

Note to self: RTFM. my son :lol:

If you's dont mind ,while on the subject of Sub categories ,how do i stop the sub categories from showing more than 10 on a page. :lol: if i add 500 subs to a toplevel they all show on the same page ;)

FOLDER FOLDER FOLDER

FOLDER FOLDER FOLDER

FOLDER FOLDER FOLDER

infinity

\/

\/