Sale mode On but no items in Sale Items Category

Guest Meow Meow

Guest Meow Meow

Hi -

I set the entire store on sale but no items are shown in Sales Items category while in each category the items have the markdown prices.

Anyone has any idea why all sales items didn't get thrown into Sale Items category?

Thanks

Guest Meow Meow

Thanks.

Have you applied any product mods, or discount mods etc? Anything that requires editing 'includes/content/viewCat.inc.php' or 'skins/religion/styleTemplates/content/viewCat.tpl'?

===

Thanks Robsta for responding. Yes, my store is highly modified. I suppose I can pull out the original files and try to decipher what were missing. Any other suggestions?

I do not believe this is due to mod or code issues!

I believe that this is due to the way CubeCart works :lol:

This can be considered a weakness of CubeCart, but here is the behavior:

If store sell mode is individual sale per item, and you have items with sale prices,

• Items on sale go into Sale Items box

• Items on sale are found in the search "Sale Items" from category box.

If store sell mode is percentage off all items,

• Sale Items box disappears

• No items are returned on the search "Sale Items" from category menu. I think this is because the search would simply return all items in the store.

The biggest weakness here is the text that displays when the search is made: "There are no products in this category."

It would not be too difficult I think to make it read something like, "Every item in the store is presently marked down! Enjoy your savings."

Guest Meow Meow

I do not believe this is due to mod or code issues!

I believe that this is due to the way CubeCart works ;)

This can be considered a weakness of CubeCart, but here is the behavior:

If store sell mode is individual sale per item, and you have items with sale prices,

• Items on sale go into Sale Items box

• Items on sale are found in the search "Sale Items" from category box.

If store sell mode is percentage off all items,

• Sale Items box disappears

• No items are returned on the search "Sale Items" from category menu. I think this is because the search would simply return all items in the store.

The biggest weakness here is the text that displays when the search is made: "There are no products in this category."

It would not be too difficult I think to make it read something like, "Every item in the store is presently marked down! Enjoy your savings."

====

Brilliant. I like the last paragraph. I'll modify the wordings! Thanks. MC. :lol:

Well, hold on just a minute there, my feline friend :D

You can't just re-word the text. It is a generic statement that is made when a category turns up empty.

What is required here is a tiny mod to the php in includes/content/viewCat.inc.php, so it displays a different message when the search is made from Sale Items link and store is set in percentage off all items mode.

I can't do such a thing just now, my hands are pretty full - just reading the forum on a break. If someone else doesn't do this soon, I can do it another day ;)

edit: it may be even easier simply to make "Sale Items" link disappear from categories menu, as the sale items box disappears from side boxes. After all, all items in the store will be reduced, this should be quite apparent to your visitors, and you could even make the statement on homepage through rich text editor, so no need to make an empty search to read the phrase. Whaddya think? :lol:

Guest Meow Meow

Well, hold on just a minute there, my feline friend :D

You can't just re-word the text. It is a generic statement that is made when a category turns up empty.

What is required here is a tiny mod to the php in includes/content/viewCat.tpl, so it displays a different message when the search is made from Sale Items link and store is set in percentage off all items mode.

I can't do such a thing just now, my hands are pretty full - just reading the forum on a break. If someone else doesn't do this soon, I can do it another day ;)

edit: it may be even easier simply to make "Sale Items" link disappear from categories menu, as the sale items box disappears from side boxes. After all, all items in the store will be reduced, this should be quite apparent to your visitors, and you could even make the statement on homepage through rich text editor, so no need to make an empty search to read the phrase. Whaddya think? :lol:

===

Hello MC -

These are two great alternatives that you proposed. Here are my thoughts...

1. I believe Estelle has a mod for this fix. It can be found here.

I used it but I would prefer your verbiage "Every item....Enjoy your savings" over "Sorry, that category code could not be found" by simply editing lang.inc.php of the relevant text.

a. "Sale items" link can stay there as a medium when percentage sale mode is on to display "Every item...Enjoy your savings". Or

b. "Sales items" link should display ALL items currently on sale. A new mod will be needed here.

The rationale - this is an advertising gimmick that we certainly don't want to forgo. :D

...but of course, I'm only a 'kitten' when it comes to web editing. I am only here to learn. :D

Guest Meow Meow

Well, one condition: If you plan to run your store in this mode at all times, then changing the text in the language file with no further modification will probably work for you.

===

I see your point...No, I don't plan on running sale at all times.

OK.

Well, I don't know about Estelle's code and her mod, no time to look at her modifications yet. I have coded your solution for stock CubeCart code :)

OPEN includes/content/viewCat.inc.php

FIND this block of code:

} else {

$view_cat->assign("TXT_NO_PRODUCTS",$lang['front']['viewCat']['no_prods_in_cat']);

$view_cat->parse("view_cat.noProducts");

}

INSERT (ADD, PASTE) this block of code ABOVE it:

} elseif($_GET['catId']=="saleItems" && $config['saleMode']>1) {

$view_cat->assign("TXT_NO_PRODUCTS","Every item in the store is presently marked down! Enjoy your savings.");

This hack will do exactly as suggested in the first solution we discussed. :D

Guest Meow Meow

OK.

Well, I don't know about Estelle's code and her mod, no time to look at her modifications yet. I have coded your solution for stock CubeCart code :)

OPEN includes/content/viewCat.inc.php

FIND this block of code:

} else {

$view_cat->assign("TXT_NO_PRODUCTS",$lang['front']['viewCat']['no_prods_in_cat']);

}

INSERT (ADD, PASTE) this block of code ABOVE it:

} elseif($_GET['catId']=="saleItems" && $config['saleMode']>1) {

$view_cat->assign("TXT_NO_PRODUCTS","Every item in the store is presently marked down! Enjoy your savings.");

This hack will do exactly as suggested in the first solution we discussed. :D

++++

Awesome! Just as I like. Thks!

U R not mAd @ me, R U?

Of course not, thx for the PM, will respond soon :D Comment about Estelle's mod, I'm sure it changes code in that file . . . not sure if my hack is compatible, it is based on stock CC code. No time just yet to look at that code or even to answer Pm's, I "steal" from myself the time to respond in forum requests that interest me, hope you understand :)