taking a doc OUT of site doc boxes and putting link elsewhere

Guest pixibab

Guest pixibab

can this really be this hard? there must be some simple bit of code that i can't figure out.. i have read a BUNCH of past posts on the subject and each one leaves me more confused than before!

i have found how to create a new box (with EXTERNAL LINKS) but nothing on how to create a new page within the current cc structure and how to write the code to call it.

seems like this would be a really common question / desired modification but there is no easy answer that i can find on this board...maybe i am misunderstanding the answers?

i have successfully created a thank you form page in the ADD A DOC editor. i have also successfully created a THANK YOU redirect page and when you click SUBMIT on the form, it opens up there(thanks a BUNCH to whoever posted that mod!)

however, what i want to do is take the 'contact us' link OUT of the SITE DOCS box and place it elsewhere - in a new box or at the footer or wherever i choose...so:

1) how do i take the 'contact us' link OUT of the site docs list?

2) what code do i place in the new spot where i want the 'contact us' link to appear (to have it call this new contact page?)

confused - please help!

Guest pixibab

There is a modification at .org which allows you to have site docs in either left, right or the footer and you can choose which ones go where.

Yeah, I saw that but it's not what I want. Maybe my inabiity to exlain it properly is why I can't find an answer!

What I want is, for lack of a better way to put it : 2 doc site boxes. Let's say I create 10 site docs, and I want 5 specific site doc pages in the ONE BOX, and the other 5 specific doc pages in another box... I know how to create 2 boxes, but I don't know how to place links to the SPECIFIC docs within the box?

i.e. if you use the site docs code (below) it calls links to ALL of the site docs wherever you place it

<li class="bullet"><a href="index.php?act=viewDoc&docId={DATA.doc_id}" class="txtDefault">{DATA.doc_name}</a></li>

You cannot specify which docs are called... Does anyone out there know how to accomplish this?

He gave the correct answer: There is a mod that does EXACTLY what you ask. You can have two or as many as you want site docs boxes, and choose which docs go in what boxes, or whether to hid some from all boxes. It is the cat's meow.

As you noticed, you will not be able to accomplish what you want without a mod.

If you cannot see how much bang you actually get for your bucks with a commercial mod, and you prefer to do it all manually and find your own solution, then here is how you can do that . . .

You have to go further back than that .tpl file, you have to go to includes/content/siteDocs.inc.php and look for the code that calls these site docs from the database. In that code, exclude the siteDoc id numbers that you don't want to show.

Then in the hard-coded box you create, you just add a link like you would anywhere on the web. To get the URL for the link, mouse over the link for site doc you want in the ACP and 7you will see the link in broser bar - just go to the doc and the url will be in address bar

it will look something like index.php?act=viewDoc&amp;docId=3

Hope this puts you on the right track :)

Guest pixibab

He gave the correct answer: There is a mod that does EXACTLY what you ask. You can have two or as many as you want site docs boxes, and choose which docs go in what boxes, or whether to hid some from all boxes. It is the cat's meow.

As you noticed, you will not be able to accomplish what you want without a mod.

If you cannot see how much bang you actually get for your bucks with a commercial mod, and you prefer to do it all manually and find your own solution, then here is how you can do that . . .

You have to go further back than that .tpl file, you have to go to includes/content/siteDocs.inc.php and look for the code that calls these site docs from the database. In that code, exclude the siteDoc id numbers that you don't want to show.

Then in the hard-coded box you create, you just add a link like you would anywhere on the web. To get the URL for the link, mouse over the link for site doc you want in the ACP and 7you will see the link in broser bar - just go to the doc and the url will be in address bar

it will look something like index.php?act=viewDoc&amp;docId=3

Hope this puts you on the right track :)

I am actualy feeling a surge of love for you at this moment - whoever you are - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

ps - it's not that i can't see the value - it's that i'm a stubborn fool who wants to DIY on everything that i possibly can :)~

Guest pixibab

AGTH :)

okay - i'm getting lazy so i bought that mod - and it is FANTASTIC! i HIGHLY RECOMMEND it to anyone who wants a much greater level of flexibilty with their design/layout. well worth the $20!!

• 2 weeks later...