GD Image Library for Fedora Core 4

Guest mashurst

Guest mashurst

This took me a little while to find today, so I am posting this for posterity. I recently upgraded to a virtual dedicated server from my shared hosting. The vds provider pre complied fedora core 4, but didn't enable gd support. On top of that, they also did not enable the fedora core "yum" (apt-get) command either, so I couldn't download gd from a repository to add it.

Here are the commands to install yum on fedora core 4 if you have a striped down virtual dedicated server, and then the command to add gd, which is a nice thing to have with cubecart. Hope this helps someone else out. I would thank the numerous sources I compiled this from, but I don't want to give any unauthorized shout outs. :) The numbers below represent each command, so don't include 215,216,217 etc in your command lines. Start each one with "rpm" . . .

215 rpm -Uvh ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/updates/4/i386/libxml2-python-2.6.20-1.FC4.i386.rpm

216 rpm -Uvh ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/4/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/python-elementtree-1.2.6-4.i386.rpm

217 rpm -Uvh ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/4/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/python-sqlite-1.1.6-1.i386.rpm

218 rpm -Uvh ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/updates/4/i386/rpm-python-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm

219 rpm -Uvh ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/4/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/python-urlgrabber-2.9.6-1.noarch.rpm

220 rpm -Uvh ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/updates/4/i386/yum-2.4.1-1.fc4.noarch.rpm

224 yum update yum

yum install php-gd

restart your server

look at phpinfo and see if gd is now enabled. You can do this for other versions of Fedora, and Linux for that matter, you would just change some of the command lines to fit what you need, i.e. /fedora/core/# or your situation.

Hope this helps someone.

• 3 weeks later...

No need to restart the server, just reload Apache.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart

It'll reload Apache's and PHP's configs with your new module in place. :D

:)

Guest devstudent

Your response time to reply to this was like what, 30 seconds, good job, keep up the good work, it's a tough world out there.

There's a Perl version of Cube cart coming out by 2010 right?

Guest devstudent

:D

I just spent all night installing, then seen this, now I have to wait 18 minutes to figure out what I'm going to do next.

My site doesn't need images for my products I'm testing, in 18 minutes I can have GD gone, mashurst did all that work to make a great post on how to install, here's my submission on how to uninstall...

Right click

delete

:wink: