WinMerge or similar program

kyle

I'm curious how many people use WinMerge, or similar file comparison/merging programs to do their CC upgrades.

Should I invest in one? I need one that runs on OS X.

thanks,

I use WinMerge on PC and love it dont know if they have a port for macs though might be handy if I used my macs for more than checking my developed sites on Safari and Firefox for macs

Guest Brivtech

We keep a private forum, where our mods are fully annotated, using (Find on line x, ... Replace with: ... Add, After ... etc.), we also keep a log of which files have had code modifications applied.

Then, whenever a new version is released, we simply note the changed files, see if they match any files we've modded, apply the mods to the changed files, and upload them into place - Oh, and that covers SQL as well. If there's any significant changes to the code, then the MOD would obviously need retesting to check it still works, so this is an opportunity to do that.

May seem a bit around the houses, but everything is catefully annotated, and to us, the information resource is invaluable. It's all to easy to forget why you created a particular field within a database, or changed a particular line of code when you revisit it some months later - Annotations are very important, and that's something a winmerge program doesn't offer. Manual is best for us.