Sub category multiple parent categories?

Hello,

I know you can assign multiple categories to a product, is it possible to assign multiple parents to a sub category? I have thousands of products im importing and some sub categories have the same parent. Just wondering the best way to achieve this other then importing it twice. Thanks!

example:

Parent1

sub1

sub2

Parent2

sub2

Parent3

sub1

sub2

parent4

sub2

(sub2 gets assigned to all 4 parents)

-Tony

Is it possible to assign multiple parents to a sub category? Some sub categories have the same parent.

Do you actually mean to say that some subs have multiple parents in your source data?

The table column _category.cat_father_id is an integer value (0 = top-level category). To have multiple parents, you would need to change the datatype of this column to... well, I'm not an expert on MySQL, so I don't know if there's a column datatype of array, or if it needs to be text.

Then, there's line 52 in viewCat.inc.php that has a SELECT statement that's looking for a single value, not an array or comma separated list.

On the category page that lists all products in that category, at the top, there's a "breadcrumb" feature. This is built by code in the functions.inc.php file, getCatDir(). I haven't figured out that function but I'm sure that having multiple parents is going to break this. I suppose you could comment out line 235 in viewCat.inc.php to inhibit this function. You might also need to do something about line 19 in viewCat.tpl.