Image Protection

Guest k9pds

Guest k9pds

Is there any way to protect product images - to stop people downloading/copying them ??

Alternatively, I realize tht I could watermark them, but would prefer to just block it if possible.

I can tell you from experience, there is really no way to block someone grabbing your images. I think there is a right click disable mod at cubecartforums, but if someone really wants to grab them, they can.

Personally, I never bother, but if you want to, the right click disable thing is about the only way. It will block novice computer users, but anyone that knows what they are doing (like me) can get around it one way or another.

Just adding to Mystys post, you can stop "hotlinking", which is where other sites (ebay etc) link direct to your images, stealing your bandwidth and your work.

Search google for hotlinking and .htaccess

Watermarking is a good deterrent, there is a 3rd party mod to watermark images on-the-fly, so you don't have to do it in your editing software (and you can change the watermark image)

There are JavaScript "hacks" to disable right-clicking, so people can't save the image, but that is very 1990's - and the image will probably be found in the browsers cache, or as a last resort a screen capture will work fine.

Jason

Guest webicon

As per Jason and Mysty - Noty really a way to stop someone.

Can cut down A LOT by adding a robots.txt file to your site and excluding the images directory (that at least will stop lazy people who find the images in Google images and steal directly from there.....

if your images are on the internet there is no way to stop someone form getting them not even with disable right click scripts especially if they use firefox because in firefox you can tell it to stop sites from disabling or removing context menus

and at the very least They can simply pull your images out of their temporary internet cache remember you dont go to a website the website comes to your computer watermarking is the only sure way to discourage image theft

As per Jason and Mysty - Noty really a way to stop someone.

Can cut down A LOT by adding a robots.txt file to your site and excluding the images directory (that at least will stop lazy people who find the images in Google images and steal directly from there.....

Guest k9pds

Many thanks for all the advice guys, confirms what I was thinking. I've already got hotlinking and image directory blocked, so looks like watermarking is the way to go.

For what it's worth, I find 'slicing' the best method in html

:unsure: